Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DIGGING CREEK HILLSIDE

I'm new to digging and just recently a friend of mine gave me permission to dig a hillside on his property next to a spring fed creek. I found alot of flint in some gofer mounds on top of the hill. My son and I spent 5 hours digging Sat morning and after 3 holes down to the clay the size of a truck hood we only found one petrified wood point and a Waco sinker. The hill runs about 200 yards along the side of the creek. I quess what i'm wanting to know is if there is particuler area that I should be concintrating on that may produce better results. We pulled about 100 pieces of flint from each hole dug but not many points. Thanks

Re: DIGGING CREEK HILLSIDE

Here's another factor to crank into your possibilities . Significant camps are rarely found on slopes [the ancients didnt like to roll out of their sleeping bags]. check for a more level spot OR failing that, knowing water is a serious magnet, look for a flat right on the top rim of the hill. Flint and "artifacts" tend to gravitate DOWNSLOPE so where you report your finds seems to be a good starting point for your future landscaping. regards SH

I'm in the Bremond area about 18 miles S of Marlin.

Douglas, sounds like you must be building and maintaing power plants. Maybe we can get together and hunt some heads if it's not to hot.

A buddy I work with is from Oletha. He doesn't really hunt. I will ask him cause he knows alot of people there. Do you know the guy or name of the place in question. I have 3 mounds on my place in Falls Co. and a buddy has a pretty good hill with arrowheads on it. That is the place I was referring to in my original post. I heard people were finding some good points in Lake Limestone during the drought last year.

I am replying to your email you sent to douglas on May 13 about Lake Limestone. My Father-in-Law lives on Lake Limestone. He has told me about all the arrowheads that have been found by his neighbor ( haven't seen them yet) and how nice they are. We are planning to hunt for some at a point right across from his house when the lake dries up some. This is supposed to be when of the main areas of the lake where most arrowheads have been found. Back behind the dam is also a good sight for points.

I look forward to your reply.

I also have a Brother-in-Law who is from the Oletha, Seale area. Hopefully his dad will let me do some digging on his land; many points found in the past.

I myself have not hunted for points in Lake Limestone but I work with a guy whoe has a nephew that has found some nice large points there.

Have you been back to the hillside dig and if so, have you had any luck?

Been working a whole lot and haven't had time but I have ran the plow over a couple of mounds that have produced 3 or 4 points but nothing wonderful. I have an eleven year old son that loves to hunt them so I have been running the plow over some mounds I have on my place that has been pretty much picked through over the last twenty years and it will still produce points every now and then.

My son and I went back to the hillside to dig Sat morning. I found a nice point and my son hit a stash of 20. They appear to be trading blanks or scrapers. They were stacked on top of each other. We dug all around the area and even went back to dig that evening thinking maybe there was a stash of points near by but after digging about a 10' circle around where he found them we didn't find anything else. I would like to post a picture of our finds but I can't figure out how to do it.