Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help Identify Site

Some may remember this plainview I posted some time ago (which I unfortunately broke) found at a site in Travis County. Needless to say, after that find, I assumed I had struck gold but unfortunately, haven't found anything since. I've included my other rough finds in this picture and would like to know what everyone thinks. Could this site be Paleo, or was the plainview just left in passing. Could there be more there? It's been really frustrating not to make anymore finds after digging up that Plainview.

What's also interesting is that shells are scattered all over the top of the dirt. I've never seen this at a midden before. The site is small and is located on a semi flat ridge on a hill. Most the flint seems to be less than a foot beneath the surface. When I dig deeper, I find lots of really burn't midden rock, but no flint.

So what does everyone think? Was the plainview just left there in passing, or are there more to be found???? I think the camp was probably seasonal, without many generations of occupation, but I'm no expert.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Re: Help Identify Site

Hi Eric, here's my first impressions of your terrible dilema. True paleo can be so incredibly deep NOBODY can believe it! On the other hand the occasional piece might be found INSITU right along side birdpoints. The latter day ancients "found" older worked flint but left it behind with their own types, presumably cause they didn't have apropriate frames.

Re where to dig. You said the magic words MIDDEN ROCK. If you are positive its true fire rock and NOT hash rock......Dig a big hole straight DOWN through it. Many many middens have little to no flint or other artifacts. At the true bottom [red soil?], at some point in time this was the EDGE of the fire pit. Take your best guess which direction might lead to the existing edge.....Start digging a "trench" that way always down to the red! More details on my favorite learning site.....CAMP BOWIE MAIN.COM
If for some reason that doesn't work...Hit the GOOGLE with camp bowie main. If you need help digging, shallow Hal will work for flint... Good luck

eric, from the pics of the points that i see, the rough pieces look like some i have in my collection. they are indeed paleo(authenticated). looks like you may have found a paleo kill site. keep diggin, and keep us informed of any other finds you might make.

Thanks for everyone's input. Actually, I didn't find the plainview on top of the ground. There were several large rocks next to each other and I started digging between them. Out of the blue, the plainview pops out.

The rocks are almost set in a pattern where it seems they could have surrounded a midden, or at least an area where people gathered. When I dig down further, there are more of these large rocks underground, placed side by side. The rocks are almost white in some instances, the burnt material is unbelievable.

I think the plainview was hidden purposely between the rocks, or it washed down. However, I checked above the site and couldn't find a thing.

Like Larry said, I think it could possibly be a kill site since it's located on a flat ridge on a hill. I am almost positive it's not been dug based on the terrain, but I'm not sure.

Rabdotus (ie: snails) can occur anywhere there was a greasy midden, or abundant organics covering the ground. Quite often, concentrations will accumulate where an old burrow or slump was, due to detritus accumulation.