Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I have a paleo question

Why is it, the older paleo points, seem to have some of the best craftsmanship? The very fine symetrical flaking, as opposed to the crude pooints of their descendents? It seems that such things of beauty & skilled craftsmanship, would of come from the modern indians, rather than the ancients??
Thanks,
RGS

Re: I have a paleo question

Glad somebody stepped into this one first, and its all true enough. I also used to think of paleo as the ultimate and man went down hill from there.....but I have changed my opinion. On a recent section of this website we have seen an EDEN / ANGOSTURE so well flaked it looks like plastic. How about the narrow base channels of a quality ANDICE. Still moving closer in time, how about the EXCESSIVLY LONG barbs on a MARSHALL. Almost ALL MONTELLS have very positively sculptured SQUARE teeth, and the THINNESS is a MONTELL hallmark! Consider the humble PEDERNALES....I have quite a few that are proportionaly gorgeous including very smooth flaking [ not colatteral ] but quality.

Then on this short summary, my last example would be BIRD POINTS. Some that are just one sided flakes dont count! Those small ones fully worked on both sides are great. I would like to see one of these one inchers magically expanded to SIX inches, some actually look paleo colateral!

That concludes my thoughts on Paleo artistans Vs "modern" Having covered all this food for thought, how about the story of Mamouth slaying CLOVIS to ??????? slaying BIRD POINTS.

Re: I have a paleo question

I think the Paleo people were not nearly as populus as the more modern people. That being said, they didn't have to sit down and flake out thousands of points. They could take their time and work out really superb points as needed. They didn't need thousands of points because their populations were considerably smaller. Didn't need to feed as many people. They also didn't need to fight off other tribes because of a lack of population.

The more modern people needed a greater number of points for hunting and for warfare. Therefore, they hacked out the points as needed - and probably as quickly as needed.

They had a need for quantity and not quality.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Jason

Michelle & Hal

Nice November already, keep up the good work. I sure wish i could make it this weekend, to meet you nice folks, but work calls.
Best of Luck,
RGS