Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
West Texas points vs. East Texas points

In looking over the points I've found in extreme West Texas the last 25 years or so, I,ve came to the conclusion that the central and east Texas ancient flint knappers were far more skilled than their Western counterparts. The flint material used out here appears to be pretty much the same as what was used in the esatern part of the state but yet, the east Texas points show much more secondary retouch and are far more thinner than west Tx. points. Many of the west Tx. points were resharpened and crudely done at that. A G-10 point from the western part of the state would be a G-5or6 in the Eastern part. Even very few of the paleo points are worked with the skill of most early man knappers elsewhere. I have an Eden point and a Scottsbluff fragment I found in the Midland area, these don't even compare to the Cody complex artifacts found in the east. I find this interesting, but I guess it will remain one of those ancient mysteries. Anyone have any therories?

Re: West Texas points vs. East Texas points

John, you raised a very interest line of thought, I hadn't even looked at yet in my studies. Let me talk to some of the people that I trust and I'll let you know their theories.

Thanks Larry- These are the kind of things that I dream up lying in bed at night. Even though we'll never really know, it's fun to hear people's input on it. Let me know what you find out.

I have thought the exact same thing! I'm from Wichita Falls (North Texas). Even up here, the workmanship doesn't seem to be near as nice as hill country points. I'm stumped...

John, I talked to one of my friends that I really trust and he says that when he was searching West Texas, he came up with some of the most beautiful points he had ever found. He has been collecting for fifty years. He lived in the Midland/Odessa area and searched that area and New Mexico. Lots of stuff from the Smith ranch. His collection far outweighs mine. He is an expert that I trust. like the post before this one, he disagrees with you. Opinions are like a++++holes, everybody has one. Have fun in your studies and keep us posted, it's an interesting study.

Hi Larry- If your friend from the Midland area name is Richard Rose, I ran in to him out surface hunting in Martin county a year or so ago. Thanks for your reply. John

It just may be the Real Estate. The more evolved people or affluent people tend to gravitate to the nicer Real Estate. I am not saying if you live in west Texas you are not civilized any less than the east Texas residents.But if you live in a Part of town that home sell for less than 75k your tool box will most likely not have the best tools. If you are able to live in a 750k home you may have premium tools.
Some neighborhood resident use plastic or stone ware then some neighbor hoods resident use fine China. That is my thought. verses east or west.

What a moron.You better look again.Some of the finest and most expensive points in the overstreet book came out of Winkler Co.Texas.

I tend to think that anywhere you find points you will find some that are museum quality and some not so. Central Texas offered some of the best living conditions early man could have wanted so with that being said I would guess that it also brought in some of the best knappers.

I have seen some killers come from both. JJ Burrows, Roy & Cindy Smeyers all have some stunning points from West Texas, and there are others from the other end of the state also. Alot of it has to do with the quality of lithics available for them to whop on. Chances are that you aren't going to turn Johnstone into a 10" long point with 12:1 w/t ratio.

It's the same way around the country. I'm not trying to down anywhere, but look at points from Pennsylvania. Look at the points that occur there, then look at the material they had to work with, uggh! In contrast, look at what's being made out of the Agates & Obsdidian out west. It's fact that some cultures did employ different flaking technology and turned out finter points, but they wouldn't do so without good lithics in the first place.