Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mounds not Middens?

Howdy all! Since I am new here I have spent some time looking through most of the past posts on this board. I have to say there is some very interesting stuff here, very nice message board! I am sort of a newb when it comes to artifact excavating but have been a surface type hunter all along. I have a family ranch located in the northern hill country, in southern Hamilton county. We have found several nice points over the years on the surface scattered all over the ranch but have yet to break ground with a pick. I plan on doing some excavating this spring. One area of interest to me is located on a high bluff that faces the North which overlooks a creek that has water year round. This area has always been know to me as the "Indian burial grounds" due to the numerous mounds located on top of this bluff. These mounds vary in size from 15' to 25' in diameter forming almost perfect domes. Although I have been told by many family members that these are in fact Indian graves I have never been able to confirm this to be true. This past summer just after a torrential rain I did a day surface sweep of this area finding very little flint at all in this area. This really has me stumped and wondering if in fact these are true burial mounds or something else altogether. After having done extensive reading on the burned rock middens at camp Bowie and although I am not far from camp Bowie I feel very sure that these mounds aren't middens. My dilemma is this. If this area of interest is truly a burial ground than I do not want to disturb it at all by excavating in the area. But if these mounds are something else I would love to break out the shovel and see what they might contain if anything. Do any of you guys have any alternative ideas for me as to what these mounds might be other that a burial mound? Are there any other clues or signs I might look for to determine what these mounds are? I feel pretty confident that that mother nature didn't make them. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Mounds not Middens?

Judging from the description and location, I would think this is a burial area. I've seen a lot of burials located in bluffs, up high. You can always dig a test hole, and if you see any indication of a burial, then leave it alone. Unless digging in a burial doesn't bother you. I had a boss that found 4 perfect corner tangs within 6 feet of each other while digging in a burial.

Your asking for suggestions, my bottom line comment; DIG just one test hole!!! Well off center. Your brief details seem to conflict between mother nature and man made [ for whatever reason ] The size of 15 to 25 feet for any grave seems excessive, Pyramid and mound builders were scarce in central TX. I have been very wary of "mounds". MILLINIUMS of topsoil build-ups and conversely erosion do amazing changes to any man made features. For now, I lean towards mother nature.

One three foot wide by XXXX deep test hole could possibly make a fast determination. Your not just looking for "indian stuff" but rather whats it made up out of??? TRUE firerock would be interesting, tightly woven huge undisturbed shelfs would not. Another test hole benefit would be, if there is bedrock on that bluff, how deep.??

A test hole " in the spring " is a very very long way away. Anyone reading of your finds will be bustin to know more facts,,,How about trying for the day after turkey instead of shopping or even the Christmas hols.

Good luck

Hello Texasniper,

If it's midden, you'll hit the burned rock really quick. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't see signs of burned rock on the surface areas around your mounds.

I'm available for free consultation on digging. Just make your appointments early hehe

Good luck. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Jason

I dig an area in Hamilton on the Leon river. I have been digging there for years. The place is rather dug out, but those of us that know where to dig, usually find a good one out there. If you wanna go, E-mail me and I can take you middle of next month. If nothing else it would give you an idea of what to look for. Me and a friend were at Larry Ray's on the Leon river outside Ogelsby on sunday and he found a 6-1/16" square butt blade. I think its a carrolton but not sure. I will send a copy to Michelle later tonite. Did I mention that it is Black.. Richard