Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mostly Manos

Started diggng this weekend. Found 11 complete manos and one point. The area gives up alot of flint tools on the surface.My test holes did kinda take up more time than I had but i just couldnt stop when those flat half rounded tools came out of the ground. Is this common? Should I just keep digging In all directions. And heck how deep? I am down 18-20 inches. Does any one have some helpful ideas or am i just digging in an old kitchen?
Thanks in advance.
Leonard

Re: Mostly Manos

Hi Leonard, I'd say that many manos with some modest digging is unique. "Reading" the soil and finds is all part of the game,check out this reading [of mine].

About 6 months ago we were digging upslope from a camp. Found 2 big mettates, several complete nice manos and a number of broken mano. It was such a good area for points we were delighted....Our " reading "....The metates and mano is undeniable proof the girls were in this area doing their thing.

So when the boys came home from a tough day at the office, they naturally joined the gals to hear some soothing non business chatter. Whitteling a piece of wood had not yet been invented yet so they KNAPPED.

Within about a 15 foot radius of the metates, we found the MOST DELICATLY made Marshalls with tremendous long barbs. We figure that not only did they keep their hands occupied but they also were to impress somebody!!!!!!!!! AND we found them there because nobody keeps whittled wood [flint].

Well that long story may not help you but its better to find a kitchen than a pile of flakes made by a hunting party headed for another kitchen !! Keep digging, most of Texas has either a red soil base or OIL.

Re: Mostly Manos

SH That sounds like we still have hope I have only found broken metates. Some of them fit together they are very worn 2 inches on the outside and in the center just under 1/2 inch. I will keep digging. And post more progress. Thanks for your reply

Leonard