Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How to remove tape stains

when i was a kid In the 60's-70's I, collected 1000s of arrowheads from my fathers farm. I would tape the information to the artifact, the dilemma is all of the artifacts have been stained where the tape was applied to the arrowhead. How do I remove the stains without damaging the artifacts. Thanks, for any help Joe

Re: How to remove tape stains

just try some Goo Be Gone, and if that doesn't work laquer thinner. I've had to use the latter on some glue/cement that couldn't be chiseled off, had to soak them awhile.
Good luck,
RGS

Been there and done that! I had also used good ole elmers glue in my younger days. With just about any tape, the key is getting the adhesive warm enough to loosen and disolve away. I soaked my points in hot water (caution: but not scalding hot) and added a little grease cutting dish soap, and had great results. Do not however drop a cold point into boiling water, as it can magically burst into a hundred pieces. The hot water and soap worked well on the glue also. If any of your points have been in a cave environment (like many of mine), they may have encrusted deposits of calcified carbon ash. This is a very desireable characteristic to have present with authentications, as like patina bleaching it's pretty difficult to reproduce. So if this is present on any of your points, you may want to avoid laquer thinner or any other solvents that may contain hydrocarbons. These hydrocarbons tend to stay attached to the point, can show up under black light exams. Also, avoid trying to pick or scrath off any undesireable material with any pointed metal, that will also show up. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi Joe, your already getting good information but in re-reading your original, maybe clarify and someone might have a cure. I read it to say remove STAINS not adhesives. Though flint is 8 on the hardness scale Im sometime surprised how porous some types can be. I've seen MANY points come out of moist soil looking knockout with colors and banding only to have them catch a dose of the BLAHS after washing and drying.

Bottom line I have no cureall suggestions for stains except experimenting with the likes of mineral spirits and the like on no value fragments....

SH, He did say TAPE Stains, and the only thing on Tape is adhesive, otherwise, it wouldn't be Tape! I think it was pretty clear what he meant. ???

Thanks, everyone it looks like I have several months worth of work to do.

Joe, I don't know how many points your dealing with, but it sounds like alot. Try one to start, soak for about 10 minutes in hot water, and lightly scrub with a plastic dish scrubber(do not use a brillo pad). I think you'll find that the adhesive stain left from the tape will come right off. I don't think it will be anything hard to do, and if the First one does well, then load up a big pot full and go for it!!