Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cleaning arrowheads

What is the best way to clean arrowheads?

Re: Cleaning arrowheads

i'm a novice, but i alway soak them good, then take a old toothbrush to them.
Good luck,
RGS

Thanks Glenn.

I have never found any arrowheads,but I have found lots of hunks of flint,and thats worked well 4 me.(soap and water)I think that i have found tools,but I am so new..don't hold me to it..

P.S.Are there any words of advice on tellin the diff.between just a hunk or tool.
THANX

DJ, Good ole soapy water and a toothbrush usually is the way to fly, however, once you start digging, some of your points may have calcified carbon ash attached to them from their alkaline buried environment. Some folks call it calechie also. A certain degree of this is good to have on points, as like patina, is a desireable characteristic when it comes to point authentication. I dig mostly in a large cave, and most of my points have these deposits, of which is very difficult to reproduce, and can be geo-chemically tested and verified. I still use water and a tooth brush to clean these, but I never vigorously scrub them, which can remove alot of the ash deposits.
Welcome aboard fossilfan, Oak Hill is a good area for numerous caves, Turitella fossil shells from the edwards limestone, and arrowhead hunting along creeks and streams.Lots of sites along upper Barton Creek West of town, if you can find a friendly land owner.
Look for flaked edges on those hunks of flint like uni-face and bi-face scraping tools.

i soak mine overnight in 50/50 water & vinegar, then a lite scub with a toothbrush and rinse, it works great.

Thanks Roy.