Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fire pit ? Maybe

I have started digging a few weeks ago.I have one area about 1/4 acre where I have removed the grass small trees And just waited for the rain to uncover artifacts well no rain for monthes. So I started digging up the soil and running it thru a sifter. with some luck yesterday while digging with Travis.I uncovered black soil very easy to dig i found one broken point which maybe a san patrice. I will post it when i get back to my home base. Well my question is how long can charcoal bits stay complete under ground? I haave found some charcoal at a depth of 18 - 24 inches This morning I also found alot of burned flint and other stones. Thanks for any info you fellow artifact hunters can pass on.

Leonard

Re: Fire pit ? Maybe

We have dug up to 9 feet deep in our cave site, and still found charcoal. I dug at one site in the past that was a double midden (one culture on top of another) along a creek. The trench depth was an astounding 17 feet at the center, and you guessed it, charcoal was still being found. It stays in tact for a very long time! Bill Arnold (TxDigger Site), has done some very deep sites also, and found charcoal as well. Good Luck!

Mike
Thank you for your input. The area we have been digging is near two creeks And seems to be the highest ground as of this century. Last year we had 10-12 inches of water after a record rain. WoUld you have any suggestions how far to go? (depth wise)Or what signs to look for that may indicate stop diggin down and move sideways.

Leonard

I don't have the foggiest idea where your at (what county), but feel I have some good reference ideas that would help you there, and wherever else you may go. I use to use a county soils survey book (Dept. of Agriculture) to identify the native soil type descriptions. It is reasonably easy to use, and will tell you the depth of the soil profile immediately adjacent to your site. It will further give reference to the underlying materials whether it be more soil,clay,or rock (parent)material.The majority of the time, I dig in limestone terrain, so as I'm approaching the bottom of the midden and original ground level, the soil usually changes from gray and brown shades to claysoil, which is stained with iron oxides. It can range from reddish brown, to orange, and yellow. This also generally tells me I'm probably within a foot or less to bedrock. This transitional layer is usually gravely with small cobbles, and all flint shards, and organic materials common to the midden layer/s disappear. Try digging a small but deep test hole for bottom, as some sites can be very deep when you are close to creek banks, and you want deep if you are lucky and can get it, as you wouldn't want to be passsing over a paleo layer unaware! Digging is hard work, but over the years, I have seen alot of sites where people did not go deep enough, and sites get messed up when this happens because you can't determine what lower parts have been dug and what has'nt. Most folks won't, or don't want to re-dig surface areas that appear already dug. This is what happens alot of times when there are too many people digging the site as well, because they don't dig the same. You will be able to confirm everything your wanting to know through digging, but it doesn't come without a little hard work here and there. Keep digging and Best of Luck with your new site!

Mike
Thanks I will just keep digging until We hit Mongolian artifacts. It may take awhile but I will keep you posted
Leonard

I've found a number of firepits lined with native sandstone with numerous fire-damaged points in and around the pits. I have heard various explanations as to how the points got in the fire - everything from "they were in the meat being roasted" to they were deliberately discarded in the fire. Anyone have any other ideas on how they got there?

Red, this is also pretty much what I have heard as well, even from some archeologists. There is one other aspect I have heard, however, it may render no more validation beyond what is already said. I know that Newcombs book touches on it only lightly. It indicates that early nomadic people were both ritualistic and supersticious. Supposidly, with some cultures it was bad luck to re-use the same point for a second kill, thus the point may have been cast into the fire on purpose. There is so much still left to interpretation, and the mysteries continue.