Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Paleo dig site in Austin County, Texas

Well now folks, its a cold rainy day and not good for digging. My Lady and I live on a farm with hills and valleys and three little year-round spring-fed creeks. We discovered a Paleoindian site on the SE slope of the highest hill. A group from the Houston Archeological Society came out and dug four test holes and aged the site based on the artifacts recovered. The site was used from 11,000 years ago up to early historical times. The site is 41AU88 in the Houston Archeological Society Report No. 23, 2005. The 500 or so artifacts since recovered include San Patrice, Scottsbluff, Plainview, Bulverde, Gary, Andice, Pedernales, Marcos, Castroville , Scallorn. Ensor and Perdiz. The site covers about five acres so I am giving myself 20 years to dig it up and no I do not count snails. Two broken clay tube pipes and Three French trade pipes have been found along with cowry shell of Carrib origin . The points and blades found range from pristine to broken . I have not found any big ( 6 to 8 inch} unbroken blades but enough broken ones to keep me encouraged

Re: Paleo dig site in Austin County, Texas

Hi Red man! Wow, thats a sweet story if I ever heard one. Being that it's now a recorded site, do you anticipate any grief from anyone over your excavation plan? I hope not. I can't think of a better way to enjoy the springtime. We will be doing the same with our site, only ours has a slight advantage as it is inside a large cave that allows us to dig rain or shine. Can't wait to start hearing/seeing some of your finds. Best Wishes!

Re: Paleo dig site in Austin County, Texas

Well now Mike, we do not expect any grief from anyone.....it's just not allowed. Thats one of the wonderful things about Texas; the landowner owns everything on their property above and below ground, whether it is hay, timber, coal, oil, gas or Indian relics and don't let anyone tell you different.( not even The Department of They in Washington D.C. ).C My Father was a Practical Geologist and Archeologist and my background is Biochemistry , Upland Ecology and Light Weapons Infantry.

You and Mike sound like you have a lot in common

Mike is relatively new to the board, but he sures knows his stuff. It sounds as though you are very educated on the history as well. Thanks for sharing pics, please post more in the future.
RGS