Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Larry, now here is a strange point

I posted this for ID back before you were on the board i think Larry. What is your take on it Mike?
Photobucket

Re: Larry, now here is a strange point

You're right, it is a strange point...I'm interested in what Mike has to say.

Well Glenn, it's been awhile since I've seen one of these. The last one I saw was rounded, not pointed like this one, and has the 2 tang stems wide apart just as this one does. The last one I saw from East Texas, and it is not a point, but a Tool. If you already know what it is, am I getting warm?

Warm or not, I do not know? This came from an estate out of Kentucky, and someone called it a San Patrice the last time i posted, so i don't know. It's just one of the oddest point I have. Mike how many pics did you end up posting? I think I saw them all? We didn't get any pics of your personal collection, email me directly if you have time.
That ebay auction i sent you was more than likely a modern repro Mike. It just caught my attention about the "ebay aprroved authenicator", since when did ebay get into the authenification busisness? I saw that all their bidding was done in "private", that is a tell tale sign of a con artist, in my opinion. I just can't believe folks would pay that much for a point with such a cloudy background, and a shady member??

Well, if I'm right, this is an agricultural tool, the equevilent of a spade or hoe. The 2 tines were hafted securely to a wooden handle for shallow digging,planting,etc. At least thats what the one like it I saw was used for.To me, it would sure seem too crude for a san patrice. I was just kidding with you a little, because I thought you might have already had it positively identified. I was told on the example I saw that the tines were set wide apart so that the tool could be hafted either in line with, or perpendicualr to the handle securely for such use. Thats all I can say on it. I managed to get 8 photos that actually got posted onto the site. I stopped messing around with Ebay for selling points a long time ago for many reasons, and I agree about their so called authenticator, etc.

here is what a San Patrice looks like through my eyes

Photobucket

Yes Glenn, and a very nice San Patrice at that, and yes I do see the similarities with basal shape. It is possible it could be a san patrice pre-form that was abandoned, but for it's size, and it's thickness, I also see some heavy edge beveling common to tool usage such as I described. As a tool, it most certainly could have been made by the same peoples who made the San Patrice type.