Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Confidence in where you are digging.

I'm trying to get into this digging thing, but am wandering if I have the patience for it. I went out to Chrisner's this weekend because it is one of the closest places to me. I was told to follow the signs and you will see where the digging sites are, but the only problem with that is there were so many I didn't have a clue where to begin. I never had confidence in finding anything, so I wouldn't stay at a particular place for long. I'm guessing this is a broken drill that I found on the surface, but other than that I found nothing else. Does anybody have any tips for me to use next time?
Photobucket

Re: Confidence in where you are digging.

DJ, I've never been to cristners, but there are lots of folks on this site who like it, so I'm sure they will assist you with their inputs. Digging takes some getting use to, and there are some things to keep in mind. You can well expect to be sore from doing it afterwards, as it is it's own form of exercise, but you will recover fine. You just need to get into a good productive site, and let the adrenaline kick in with a good find. I think the digging will just come naturally after that point! Also, know that there are some very tough middens out there that are matrixed with hard gummy dark gray claysoil and loaded with blocky burnt limestone chunks, and the only way you can possible dig them by hand is with a pick and shovel. I've walked away from some of these because I felt the returns weren't worth the effort. Other sites may be easy to dig by comparrison. Arrowheads are where you find them. I had days that I dug for hours on end and didn't find anything worth taking home, then came back later to the same place and found several good ones in a fraction of the time and effort. Keep the faith, and keep digging, and it WILL come.

Dj, the only time that I went was at Digfest '07, but I saw some of the nicest points come out of there. The thing is, if you are not patient and willing to work at it, you might not find anything for a while. However, I also found a lot of surface pieces. If you walk down the creek bed, and keep your eyes on the ground, there's a good chance of finding nice pieces.

I'm not going to give up, I was just frustrated yesterday, thanks guys.

HELLO DJ THE CHRISNERS SITE IS NOY VERY FAR FROM MY HOUSE AND IF YOU E-MAIL ME AND LET ME NOW MAYBE WE CAN MEET OUT THERE AND DO SOME DIGGING?????

HELLO, I HAVE SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS OF SOME AREAS AROUND THE CAVES AND SUCH THAT ARE SIMPLY DIRT THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DUG PROBABLY 2 OR 3 TIMES. I HAVE PROBABLY BLOWN ABOUT 200 DOLLARS ON 2 FLAKES OF FLINT. IM NOT AN EXPERT DIGGER I JUST HAVE ABOUT 20 YEARS EXPERINCE, AND MY ADVICE WOULD BE TEST THE MILK BEFORE YOU BUY THE COW.