Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Two Sedalias in a cache laying in an "X" formation

I found these at about 26" down on a Sedalia site in Missouri I own about 4 years ago.
Hope everyone is doing good and finding stuff like crazy
[img]http://stevesarrowheads.googlepages.com/DSC03667.JPG/DSC03667-custom;size:400,315.JPG[img]
[img]http://stevesarrowheads.googlepages.com/DSC03767.JPG/DSC03767-custom;size:400,315.JPG[img]

Steve

Re: Two Sedalias in a cache laying in an "X" formation

hmmmm having problems with photos....

http://stevesarrowheads.googlepages.com/DSC03667.JPG/DSC03667-custom;size:400,315.JPG

help. can I post pics?

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had problems! Steve, try this, add at the front ,and see if that gets it.

Sorry Steve, it seems BRAVENET has a Problem letting me print the code additions you need, and they removed it on me. Just E-mail Michelle, and she can give you the code additions you need. Evidently, there is something taboo about it with the server. I guess thats what I get for trying to help.

You just have to get used to the bravenet thang to post items..
and hit PREVIEW before posting to see if you got it correct or not

Michelle

Super nice!!! Congrats.

Steve, nice sedalias, they look like they are made from heat treated Burlington chert. I have one like them only larger (7&1/4")from a site in Riley County, Kansas.

Well now, if those two Sedalias had been found around Kerrville what do you folks think they would be called? I find it archaic that the name of a point can change when one crosses a state line. Thats one of the grand things about a corner tang ; no matter where you go it is still a corner tang.

Red Man, I don't quite follow. No Texas point is identical to Sedalia. Sedalia was made by a specific people, and the type does not range into Texas. The closest point in resembelence is agate basin, of which is distinctively different, and ranges over several states. Agate basin is agate basin wherever you go. I'm with you on the corner tang. What Irks me are things like Jetta, of which in my opinion is just another form of Pedernales, and it was made by the same peoples. They don't call a comanche style Pedernales a Comanche do they.

Well now, the point is that we have too many point types. The Sedalias are not the best example. Better examples are the Edens and Albertas...put an assortment of both on a table with an assortment of Scottsbluffs with no site information and see who can sort them out. If you were to carefully select a grouping of Sedalias, Agate Basins and Lerma Round-Base and shuffle them with no site information I believe that it would take an expert to differentiate. An old time Archeologist once told me that there were only about thirty point-types in the whole world with a lot of variations of same. I am not quite that extreme but I'm close.

I've been told, by someone that I respect, that Jettas are an earlier form of Perds, not quite as refined. I do agree with redman, too many names for same type of points. In my collection I have some obsidian points from the Great Basin area and some from Arizona, they both look the same. If I didn't have them in different cases, I couldn't tell them apart.