Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question about the corner tang

Does anyone know the range of the corner tang? I know I hear central Texas, but could they be as far west as the Big Bend area? I'm just curious to if I have a chance of finding one in Sanderson.

Re: Question about the corner tang

The range is still listed as Central Texas North into Southern Oklahoma according to my references. I have never heard of one being found in Northern Mexico, or as far West as Big Bend, where the geology becomes Igneous. I think one was found at Langtry, Tx. which is not too far away, so if you did find one at Sanderson, it would likely be at the edge of range extension. Dwain Rogers wrote a great book on Corner Tangs (Corner Tangs over Texas), but the range has not been confirmed by an Archeological study that I know of. I know some have been found in our area here, and we certainly remain hopeful of finding one.

There have been some found near Kansas City, Missouri. I have found one complete and one broken.

One was found on lake texoma

I know of three found in the Midland- Odessa area of West Texas, I found one in Howard county about four years ago. The ones in West Texas appear to be smaller than their central Texas counterparts.

I found a tang in a small shelter, on Independence creek, south of Sheffield. So you might find one near Sanderson as well.

my dad found a corner tang in salmon, idaho underneath a big overhaning cliff when we were mule deer hunting....but it was a different style of cornertang than what i have seen in pictures from texas

Hi Luke, Your right, Idahoians do things differently. For those with the money book, check page 913. Frankly the one on the bottom right is a deadringer for my find that in TX I was calling a side tang.

So if y'all enjoyed seeing Idahoian corner tangs...take a look what they do to BASE TANGS..page 906. I think I have a coupla hundred of them. !!

I found a 4 inch classic corner tang in southern Dimmit County about 2 years ago. They're few and far in-between down this way.

Here Here I Have A Real Good Friend That Found About 3 to 4 inch Tang From West Central Flordia Its Clear Coral Found On Top Of The Ground In Front Of A Turtle Hole And It Is A Corner Tang This Is No JOKE!

My Name is Wayne Stowe I Found a Corner Tang Knife In Seminole Tx Gaines County. It Was Laying In The Bar Ditch Of A County Road, It Was 4 Inches Long, So You Might Find One In sanderson.