Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
does obsidian chunks lying everywhere mean theres lots of artifacts?

i was wondering how well a shaker screen would work in sand and how deep is to deep to deep to dig....and at this place there is lots of obsidian chunks ranging from the size of a dime to the size of the top of a soup can... i have even found a few decent arrowheads there i was wondering would this place be worth digging...i was also wondering if digging next to trees and rocks the size of trucks is better than just digging any where? sorry for all the questions but digging is new to me ....and i was wondering if anybody has any tips, secrets, or techniques... that would help me in any way

Re: does obsidian chunks lying everywhere mean theres lots of artifacts?

Well now Duker, first of all stop wondering, relax and drink a home brew.......if you don't have any home brew then make some.....plenty of recipes available one-line. Sand is by far the best media in which one can dig and it sifts down nicely through one's sifter. You shall very quickly know when you have dug too deep in sand....the wall of the pit collapses on you and worse case scenario, you die..........so be extremely diligent when digging in sand. Digging next to boulders the size of a truck can make Ms Duker a widow and the fruit of your loins fatherless.......imagine the boulder rolling into the pit with you. Big trees are for the most part benign except for the bloody roots. Obsidian chunks.? Flakes and chips (thin) are a good indication that someone was doing something with volcanic glass at sometime or other. Make test holes with a posthole digger; go down until the soil type changes.......in my case I go down through the sand layer and quit digging when I hit the hardpan clay layer. Sift everything that comes up from the test holes........if you are encouraged by what comes up then expand the dig....if you are discouraged by the results of the sifting from the test hole then relax and drink a home brew and dig another test hole..

Re: does obsidian chunks lying everywhere mean theres lots of artifacts?

Be extremely careful when digging through sand. My buddy darn near lost his life digging through regular dirt when it caved in on him. I was just a few feet away when it happened and I did not even know or hear it until I heard him call out. RedMan has good advice, I would follow it.