Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Colors Of Dirt

Ok My Question Is Yellow Dirt Is Older Then White Or Black? And I've Dug Up To 6ft Down On One Side Of A Lake And Find Artifacts I Go To The Other Side And Dig Down 3ft And Find Artifacts The Deep Side Is Yellow Dirt The Shallow Side Is White Which Is Closer To The Lake And Lower Elavation My Question Which Side Should I Dig First They Both Give Chips Of Coral And Broken Artifacts!Some Pottery I Find Rocks Through The Woods Also Coulkd This Be Camp Sites Or A Village?

Re: Colors Of Dirt

Hi Donny, For what it's worth, here's my thoughts from long range. Your part of the world is far different than central Texas is your the same Donny that found a half a pail of POTTERY CHARDS.

Regardless of the color and depth you report artifact evidence on both sides of the lake so your going to have to keep after BOTH then perhaps zero in on the better one THEN perhaps make a jugement on color.

Your mention that difference in color is evident at different elevations puts me in mind of the Texas situation....In ALL of Texas there is only about 3 natural lakes that would have been there in antiquity. Camps here may seem to be on the shore of a loveley lake but on fact they were on the sides of the original flowing drainages before damming.

IF the rocks in the woods are surface it doesnt sound very old. If the pottery is from that area that should be dateable. Closely scattered rocks might have been grave markers.

Have you deceided on a type name for that last nice point you posted yesterday ??

I Think They Are Bugs Creek Thats What They Look Like

The Rocks Are Large 10lbs Or So The Pottery Is All Over The Ground And Down To About 2ft I Found A Bunch Of Them Rocks In A Circle Like A Burn Pit And Then Some Scattered About And Some Charcole Logs Also About 2ft Down But Most Of The Chips In That Area Have To Be Sifted I Really Dont Sift And I Cant Use A Pick Eaither I Use A Very Rounded Shovel Thanks

Donny, Not a dirt comment but that front page find of yours is gorgeous....Is that fossilised coral ?

Yes My Best Find Ever I Only Have About 30 Full Points Which I Was Told Thats Great For Only One Year Of Hunting

I AM IMPRESSED

FOSSILISED CORAL with that QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP is a real treasure, congratulations.

Coral Point .. Info

Well..

I don't usually do this, but since it did make it to the front page..
I think I need to give credit where credit is due....

Here is a link to Son's Website...

the guy who says that HE actually found THIS coral point..  Umm...
Back in the 70's ..

http://www.sonandersonartifacts.com/museum/index.shtml

4th down on the page......

What name should I have under that point again?