Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hafted Cornertang Blade

Well now, its a bit too wet to dig so I have been going through some blades. The wrought iron sickle was dug up here sometime back and looking at it always makes me think about cornertangs and what they were used for. Over the years I have heard several plausible explanations. The four hafted tools with the exception of the square knife all have tangs for attaching a haft. In the remaining photos I use a piece of deer leg bone as a haft and attach it to each of the three blades in the most obvious manner. Early explorers to this area reported that the native people lived in lodges covered with woven grass . A sickle would have been an essential tool.

Re: Hafted Cornertang Blade

Well now, I did not knap any of these pieces, all I did was make and attach the handles.

Old cornertang stuff.

At the angle that the tang is on the CTangs, I couldn't see it being strong enough for being used as any type of scraper, ie hide or wood, so a scythe would seem a more plausible use. The shelters used down in So.Tx. were more doomed shaped and covered with hides so that would explain the scarcity of CTang being found around here.
Back Tang blades, now that's a different story.
One thing I haven't seen posted is a CTang with the tang actually broken off. ????

Good info and neat examples.
Here's another snippet of sickle type lore. Last year when brainstorming the "Kerrville hand ax" it was found that the true KK was not used like an ax but rather was used for harvesting plants. ( as determined by the micro wear on the edges of found examples. )

As much ingenuity and craftsmanship the purpose made tools are, isnt it a bit odd that they never shaped a
length of flint with a proper hand grip that didnot require any hafting at all, big enough so that as the blade broke or was resharpened it would
be worked down into the handhold zone.

Tehuacana
At the angle that the tang is on the CTangs, I couldn't see it being strong enough for being used as any type of scraper,
One thing I haven't seen posted is a CTang with the tang actually broken off. ????

Good observation. Check this out to the just posted frame of CTangs on the front page..