Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Stuff!! need ID help from the experts.

The piece of metal I found in the middle of nowhere, looks wierd, maybe just a piece off an old Chevy(jijiij) maybe a ufo, anyways, keep looking down guys, hope ya'll are having better luck than I am.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: New Stuff!! need ID help from the experts.

Those are some really nice points.

nice gino hey man u diggin the midden near san antonio

Thanks,
Negative on the midden guys, these come from Webb County. No digging for me yet, still waiting for some invites. All my stuff is surface finds.(guess I'm a little lazy.

Good grief Gino, there you are concerned about a dead Chevy when you seem to have two points about NINE THOUSAND YEARS OLD in very good condition. In your pic where they are both in it, the one one the left looks like a BARBER, The other like a SAN PATRICE VARIENT or maybe GOLONDRINA VARIENT. Whatever, in any case it just LOOKS Paleo.

Great finds [ including the Chevy ]

hey gino, if you have a copy of the overprice guide, ninth edition, go to page 530 and look aat the arkabutla....the first pic that I saw reminded me of that...also looks like a folsom in the thumbnail guide at the beginning of the section

A Barber is supposed to pretty rare, have you ever found one Hal?

The Metal Might Be A Pice Of The Space Shuttle

Thanks guys, goes to show that I'm not an expert on ID'g points, just love to go out and find them. I dont have the book(overstreet) but I will try to find one. It's really cool to have people like you'all to help us understand the significance of these points, as far as I'm concerned, I've been learning a whole lot from this site. As it goes in Japanese "Domou Arigatou gozai-mas".
P.S. Which is the Barber? and who made them? Are they orginally from this region?

Well now, the petrified wood piece looks like a standing ribroast. The metal piece is a short section of plumber's lead sheathing. There are two well-worn and sharpened biface knives and what appears to be a well-used eared paloepoint....maybe a Barber. The triangular piece appears to be a well-worn Meserve. All in all, well done !

Rib Roast Redman? Now you got me in a BBQ'g Mood,(jajaja) I still cant find a picture of the Barber point. If anyone has a picture of a Barber, please post it, so I can see it.
Thanks, all...

Gino, the Barber is in the second pic on the bottom left. It looks to be in pretty darn good shape too!

I think the piece that y'all are calling a barber is a meserve(bottom left of second pic) a barber is longer and skinnier

It could be a Meserve, but in that case it could be a Allen, Golondrina, or a Kinney. I would have to agree that it might not be a Barber, but going by the book I'm looking in a Barber doesn't have to be longer or skinnier. Anybody else have any ideas?

That Isnt Lead Lead Would Be Oxidized Thats Steel Of Some Sort It May Be A Pice Of The Space Shuttle That Blew Up Over There Over That Area They Found Stuff All The Way To Louisaina See The Burn Holes In It There Melt Marks From Intence Heat It Blisstered And Burned Holes In Through It

4 DJ, No I cant say as I found a true Barber point, the closest that I'm sure of is a Carrizo. So in the point in question there seems to be a number of possibilities. It's so small to analise flaking signatures, I like to use the term " varient " that might cover a non book item made by somebody having a bad day.

I was 20 miles from your Sanderson site two weeks ago, via Amtrak. You being a " desert man " you probably noticed some of the low scrub type plants are already greening, can 120 degree days be far away ??

No problem DJ, interesting comments on the points, would it help to post close up pics to help ID it better?

Hey guys, what about the egg looking white rock? any Ideas?

Well now, if that piece of lead sheathing were any more oxidized it would bloody well be going into solution.

It's not lead Redman, it's steel, not that heavy though but very strong, also strong as steel(very hard to bend), the funny thing is, it has very little rusting. it looks like it was a square of metal and has what looks to be 6 dimples around it sort of like rivets, but not rivets. All most of those dimples are kind of like bent backwards. I would think that a piece of metal out in boons would have become rusted.

I emailed your photo of the metal piece to a friend who retired from NASA and he wrote back - " I can't tell from this one picture, but I'll be glad to forward it to my friends at JSC. Can you tell me the latitude and longitude (approx) of the place where it was found?. That way they would know if it was inside the overall footprint of the debris from the Space Shuttle Columbia accident. If it is inside that area, they might want to go inspect it, and I assume that the guy who found it would be allright with that. Let me know if you want me to send it to NASA."

I don't think it is a piece of Columbia, if Gino found it in south Texas, most of the debris that was found was in northeast Texas on into Louisiana. Gino, don't get your hopes up.

I found this piece in 2002 if i remember correctly, the area is Webb County, between Laredo and Zapata, Tx. Whatever it is or whatever it came from, I would just like to see if it is of any significance. As far as longitude and latitude I have no I Idea how to relate that Info, but I'll see what I can do. I would be happy to send it to this gentleman and have him examine it if he wishes to.
P.S. any input on my last post as to when or how can I determine whether a point is fluted or not? I posted some pics, any help would be appreciated. Thanks again guys.

After contacting the Johnson Space Center. I found out that all further searches for debris from the Columbia accident are being handled by the Kennedy Space Center. And they tell me that your piece of metal was found too far off the flight path to be from that accident. My friend suggests you should go ahead and send a photo of the metal piece to NASA Headquarters in Washington anyway, and let them know where it was found (latitude & longitude) and see if they are interested in looking at it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but do let us all know if you find out anything more about the piece.

Thanks Sylvan, do they have a website where I can send the Pic? How do I go about it? was found around the following area lat(27-824 N) lon(99-536 W), I got this from the topozone website. Thanks for all your help, good luck and keep looking down, U never know what U might find,

P.S. Got some more new stuff I found Yesterday, will post pictures today.