Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Drawing of my middens

I am going to Sanderson again next weekend, and I thought I would get some ideas of where to put test holes. I have heard some ideas from Hal and Mike, if they have anything to add that would be great. If anybody else has any ideas please let me know. For some reason most of our finds have been to the left side of the middens. Last time I started to dig a trench in between the middens probably about 3 cubic feet and found some shells and a broken little bird point. Note: as I said before; the dark soil goes down at least 3 feet and is easy to dig, all other soil is very hard.

Photobucket

Re: Drawing of my middens

Hi DJ, good diagram, I immediatly thought ...WOW While indian "mounds" is the common terminology for all idian MIDDENS. In actual fact what one should be looking for is DONUTS [ like your presentation ] ! ! !

Visit my favorite site on the matter...
TEXASBEYONDHISTORY.NET/BOWIE/MIDDENTELL.HTML

NOTE..
DONUTS and isobar graph of midden density
also, bottom of front page, hit, WHAT IS A BURNED ROCK MIDDEN.

There is obviously oooodles of other related info.

Lastly, to the direct question of "where to dig" Other than previous comunications, You indicate areas of hardpan or otherwise inpenatrable soils EXCEPT some 3 foot deep black soil. That seems to say it all.....The black soil has got to go!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DONUTS

Hey DJ u diggin in between san antonio and seguin ?

No, I don't know where to dig around there. I live in Fort Worth, and I have 200 acres in Sanderson about 4 1/2 hours west of San Antonio. I plan on going to Chrisner's or Floyd Cantwells place sometime, both about half way between me and you.

Negative lee, I am about 90 miles west of San Antonio, and DJ's ranch is another 100 miles west of me.
DJ, if you can this trip, try to determine the strata thickness, and try digging outwards to the contacting edge of the harder soil. It sounds like the dark soil is the center of an old hearth. Hopefully there will be some decent points along the edge area. As always, I wish you the best luck possible, and it was really good to meet you and yours at Waxahachie.

Hey Mike, if you were me would you rent something like a Mustang 2060 to dig with? Oh, and it was nice seeing you also.

DJ, well now, you certaily could dig with it because it's a beefy heavy enough (not like bob-cat), but 2 things, first...I would avoid it until you know more about what you've got with the campsite(hopefully it would be worth the money spent on rental), and have an alternate use for it on your land (road building)or something else as a back up use plan. Actually, one of those small track mounted mini-excavators with a back hoe arm/bucket would be most ideal for testing the parameters of your middens. Second, you'd be quite lucky to find the right rental equipment in Sanderson. It would probably have to come out of San Angelo, or Del Rio, Tx. and either would be a long way to haul it. It sure would take alot of the work out of it though, being able to use a machine instead of the ole back! Best of Luck on your next trip!