Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Which Pay to Dig Site Should I Try

I've been collecting arrowheads and artifacts for 20 years. I've got a few places to surface hunt but I've been thinking more and more about trying a "Pay to dig" site. Part of my sinister plan is to get my wife more excited about hunting. So what I would like to know is, for a first time pay to dig trip to one of the sites listed on this website, where am I likely to have the best luck? I know there is a big cost difference but I think I could afford to try this once. Thanks for your help. This website is great, just found it a couple of days ago and can't stay away.

Re: Which Pay to Dig Site Should I Try

I have never been, but going by people on this board Sam's pay dig at the Frio river landing. I'm sure you will have more advice from others.

Hi ML, I'd actually consider that a very tough but interesting deceicion given the parameters you state.

The great and plentifull finds you see on site from the paydigs are from people with LOTS of digging practice. No matter how good the site it still depends on how much and how efficiently you move dirt,
it's "fun" but strenuous.

Screen digs practically guarentee participants good finds and reasonable table comerade. It's usually standing and reducing real estate to dust for 8 hours.

And that might put us back to Chrisners for a very first time try and evaluation. Entry fee is very modest. Go on a weekend and you will see the type of tools the "regulars" are using, checkout where they are digging. Check the garage wall with pics of bygone finds.
Surface hunting can be more productive than groveling in the dirt sometimes [ after time and rains the discarded "throw piles" really produce ]

Last point for first timers introducing non earth moving family members to the game.....The entire ranch is really hill country beautifull and you have the priviledge to survey the whole place...It's spring time gorgeous in Texas so just say to hell with dirty caloused hands and have a nice picnic by a stream.

Checkout the front page item, DIGFEST 2007

Thanks for the info. It looks like Chrisner's will be my best bet. It's also the closest for us, we live just south of Fort Worth. I plan on giving Chrisner's a call in the next few days. Is Chrisner's kid friendly? We have a 3 and 5 year old that would love to go. Thanks again

I would say very kid friendly their eyes are closer to the ground and usually find more surface treasures.
Take wet shoes for all, creek walking can be productive as most other surface hunters dont get right into the water. In dig areas check around the base of big trees, The money diggers pitch all the larger flint out including broken worked items like bases, tips that wont sell.

I predict that by the end of your visit, you will never again want to hear.....

"LOOK WHAT I FOUND, IS THIS ANYTHING?"

Got my wife talked in to it and I think she may even be a little excited about the whole idea. Now I just need to find the time and make the plans. I'll update when we go, hopefully I'll even have some good finds to post.

Hi ML, I've never done much digging either but have found lots of stuff surface hunting when I was out in west Texas, it's amazing how much you can find in cotton fields! Anyway I plan on going up to chrisner's on the 15th, hope to see you there.

Surface hunters, what very good luck ! ! !

The weather channel is forecasting RAIN and SNOW on Chrisner's today [ Thurs 3/6 ]