Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Digging...

Hey Michelle, what do you look for to pick a site to dig? I have access to more than 10,000 acres and as I mentioned before, I have only done surface hunting for arrowheads. I have the Owners consent to look for and keep everything I find. But I would like to try my luck at digging.

Re: Digging...

Start with the very basics Gino. Look at the landscape. The one commodity that the HAD to have present was a nearby water source.

Once you narrow that down start looking for areas OUT of flood plain that look like you could camp comfortably. (no one has ever liked rolling out of their sleeping bag down a hillside). Also look for some nice large shade trees. They didnt HAVE to have the trees, but if you see some huge oaks in an area it automatically becomes suspect for me. Take north wind into consideration and look for areas that may shelter from such a wind.

After I have a few areas of interest identified then I start combing the ground for signs. Square rocks (fire cracked limestone has square-like features), snail shell and of course flint. If you find all of these in an area it warrants a test hole.

In your test hole look for signs of occupation. Artifacts of course is the biggest sign, but you can find precussion and pressure flakes and know that someone sat there making a tool. Snails are a sign of detrious buildup (attracted to the leftovers from fires); they did eat these occasionally as well. Charcoal bits under the ground and bone are other things you may find as signs of occupation.

Then, when you find a camp, call your good buddy Brad that helped ya out so much!

J/K bud good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you like. I was new to digging myself just last year but I learn quick and have since uncovered my first points and man there is nothing like touching a point for the first time that hasn't been held in 8,000 years. All of my points so far have come from sites I found in the same manner I described to you.

Thanks Brad for the info, I will try to look for those signs. I keep you posted on my first dig.
P.S. Anyone is welcome to comealong. There is no Fee, other than providing the BBQ(jajaja). Wish me luck.

You like briskit samiches? I'd do ribs but we gotta eat on the go..can't waste good diggin time shovin my face.

You all with the meat and ham!

Heck, I am lucky if I remember to bring my beanie-weenies to the dig for lunch! Its usually tina in a pouch!

You can invite hal and I out anytime for a look around too ya know! hehe (HINT! ) hehe

You are TOO FAR! heheh

Michelle

Gino, when's the big dig scheduled for? I'll for sure bring lots of ribs HAHA. Being from the coast I can get lots of shrimp and crawfish too, if you're into that..Good luck on your dig..keep us posted on your results....planning on going up to Chrisner's on the 15th, hope the weather holds up...

Ummmmm Shrimp

I will trade you some good old Lake Travis Croppy for some Shrimpys! heh

Hope the weather holds for ya!

michelle

CRAWFISH!!! you're the first one on the list Partner(jajaja) Love them steamed critters. Make sure you bring at least 5lbs of mud bugs just for me(jajaa). Haven't started digging yet, but yesterday I found a small beauty, and some heart breakers. Couldn't help myself, so I went out for a quikie, I'll post the pics for ya'll.

Sweet deal man. Thanks for the invite but unless you are close to Kerrville (San Antonio area) I'll have to just drool on the pics of your finds.

This item reserected for ' ONLY BIRDS by BIG w '

Hey Gino,
10K ac. is a big area, to narrow it down for midden sites, are there any wet creeks flowing that we could survey? What county is it in & are there roads on the property to be able to check it all out?
I've got a smoker (stay's home) & have some brisquet & pork ribs to bring along.
Silver

Hey Silver, I doubt you will get an answer from Gino. He fell off the face of the earth.

I saw him fall

Even though I wasn't there .. Did he make a noise

He is grounded from his computer

Sorry about the confusion, Gino is dead !
I just brought this old posting back from the depths for ONLY BIRDS by BIG w's info content

LONG LIVE GINO,

michelle- it was like a thud or... like a arrghhh! Something like that.