Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fossilized peaches or what!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Fossilized peaches or what!

Frank, that round thing in the top of the picture, any ideas..I've got several of 'em but this is the biggest, put a magnet to it but no iron, and a buddy of mine found out you can bust 'em with a hammer(what are friends for). They were found on flat terrain near old dried up creek beds...Rob

Those are most likely nodules. They appear to be sandstone from the picture. you can see the ancient bedding planes in them. They form when you have two different types of sediment and densities are present. Usually there will be some degree of differential compaction that allows the spherical shape to form. Many people mistake them for fossils. They are called psuedo-fossils. Typically it is called ball and pillowing. On the other hand, chemical and mineralogical differences can have the some result.( such as cryptocrystalline amorphous silicas) There is much discretion between nodules and concretions.

Very good explanation Geoguy. That top rust colored on might be a differnt species, everybody's favorite....

MARKASITE, iron sulfide

The top photo, could that be similar to what I posted sometime back? the exterior looks similar, but mine is spit in half with a symetrical hole in it. Pam emailed me said it could be a concretion or something to that effect. Can I Post it here to compare it?

Those rust colored items in question can have many variations depending on what millions of years have exacted on it, round elongated, el shaped, "globular etc. 99% will have barely dicernable tiny "bumps all over.

Just by coincidence on this topic, Check back with ML190's current input of WEST TEXAS INSITU.....That looks very much like the fabled rust devil right there next to the Pandora ! ! ! !