Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Digging

We are finding lots of arrowhead pieces on the land we bought in Aug. 07. We have found them in two different flat field areas. Could someone tell me or better still send some photos of what we should look for on the surface before starting to dig? What does a midden or mound look like on the surface? What do these cracked rocks look like? I'm thankful for any help. JB

Re: Digging

JB, try....

TEXASBEYONDHISTORY.NET/BOWIE/MIDDENTELL,HTML

Thank you, I had found that, but wanted more. Thank you again, JB

Flat areas are harder to spy "middens" per say but there are all sorts of different levels of occupation. There could have just been several "hearths" or smaller campfires and not necessarily an earth oven midden. Dig some test hole in areas you've found stuff on the surface and if you get precussion or pressure flakes then you know you are on a camp or knapping area.

I know of some fields that hold points all over; above and below the surface, it's just a matter of moving the dirt to get to them. Depending on the age and erosion level of the area the occupation signs may not be all too obvious on the surface. The only true way is to stick the pick in the ground and go for it.

First, a shot at the mound above and below the surface; second a shot of the mound "craked" fire-rock; third some precussion and pressure flake and snail shells found in the mound. Hope this helps!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now..

Go down till you see NO flint...

And in some middens (Trash / Ash and burn rock piles) that could go down 2-20 ft!

But, if you are on a flat.. you probably will find bottem within 4ft.

Just don't dig too shallow.. you can miss all of the old stuff1

What county are you in?

Michelle

Thank you all so much, that all really helps. Its in Real County. I'' be there for two weeks starting the 14th of March, and I'll start digging. Thank you all again, you certainly are a helpful bunch. I'll let you know what find if anything. JB

JB, thats really a classic burnt rock midden, and your in a great area for good points. I am in Edwards County (next county west), just across the Nuecess River. Best of Luck with the digging, as from the photos, youv'e barely scratched the surface on it!

Re: Digging in Real County

We are in between the Nueces and the Frio rivers, almost in the middle of Real County, about 25 miles north, northwest of Leakey, Bullhead Creed make a big upside down U shape right in the middle of our property.
Thank you guys again for all the help, if we find anything I will let you know.
JB