Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
poison ivy

i was down by the river digging in a new location and the nexy day i woke up and i was covered in poison oak and my eye even swelled shut... i actually got it from the decomposing ivy dead in the dirt i was digging in....i was wondering if any body had any remedies or suggestions to get rid of it....oh and i will be posting some pictures of my lastest finds(one is my best find ever!) thanks

Re: poison ivy

Try Calamine lotion, avaiable over the counter at any pharmacy. I'm one of the lucky ones, as it does not bother me, but I sure feel for those it does!

Well well.. glad to see that WE arnt the only diggers that get the cooties!

There is a place that we dig.. others dig there too and if they read this will know where I am talking about IF its them!

There is a flat on the corner of the site, nearest point to the little dry creek..

There are these roots.. I assume ivy.. or oak.. or heck sumac ! Ahh! All I know is no matter HOW careful you are.. you get the mess all over your arms

The LAST time I dug at all in that area.. someone was there maybe the day before and dug.. and undercut it.. (AHH! THE WRATH! ) anyway.. there was like 2 ft of these EVIL roots just hanging out from the wall.. that means that dug with that hanging and dangling all over their hands and arms..

I quess they didn't know the place.. But I bet they know it now! Whatever it is, STICKS with you for about 2 weeks and its BAD!

BUMPY! ITCHY! BLISTERING! ROTTEN STUFF!

You know who you are don't you! Ahh! Poor things!

Michelle

Too late now, I dont think there is a quick cure once its taken hold. Calamine lotion is what they used to put on it last century.

I do know that a "poison ivy" type pestulance comes in many forms other than the three shiney leaves your Mom told you about. In the Austin area, we have had bouts of the itch from vine/root like growths that are right in the grass roots level. In spring & summer these "vines" all send up proper Poison ivy plants no more that a foot high...Bad stuff.

Just discovered a 21st century item called CALAHIST from WALGREENS. its a clear slight gel that when wiped on the arms dries clear like a coat of waterproof varnish. So far good results [ or NO results ] Of coarse one must plan ahead, apparently that slight oily irritant is working immediatly though you might not feel effects til next day.

This is only EARLY spring, whatever nasties were resting for the winter are about to explode.

Off your subject but the new crop of baby FIRE ANTS are alive, well and REALLY hungry! ! ! The swines are so small you can hardly see what feels like a bee sting.

looks like THREE people where typing your responce at the same time, mine just took longer. All three seem to be somewhat in agreement.

I am a sucker for poison ivy. I get it all the time. Usually it spreads on me in the middle of the night. If I get it as bad as you have it I go and get a hydrocortizone shot from the doc. They can also give you some light steroid pills to take too. It will take about 10-14 days for the stuff to fully take on you skin. Which means if you just got it it;s going to spread and get worse. If it's as bad as you say you need to get a hydrocortizone shot asap.

I am highly allergic myself and have found some pre-contact towellettes put out by IvyX and some cleanser towelettes for after exposure. Both made by Coretex products...good luck with the ITCH!

There is a product out called Tecnu made for poison Ivy and Oak. Its a soap for post exposure that should keep it from spreading if used properly (removes the oil). The kit I bought had a nifty bottle of itch relief with it but do NOT RUB any type of itch reliever on you; dab it on. Rub the soap in the affected area only. If you rub on the itch relief it can spread the oil (which is what makes you so friggin miserable to begin with).