Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Arkansas mounds!

I've got an invite to go up to Benton Co. when the weather gets right. A guy I work with tells me of several large mounds on their land a couple hundred yards from the Saline River. As he told me of the mounds I'm sure my jaw must've dropped, and after looking at them on Google earth I can't wait to go see them. He describes them as being 75-80ft. across and 8-10ft. tall, there's 12 that you can see real well and he says several more are covered with trees. My question to all of you guys and gals is..have any of you ever seen and or dug huge mounds like this? Of course it will take several trips up there to really figure things out.I am also unsure of the laws in Arkansas but the mounds are on private land and we have permission from his dad to do whatever. Also on Google earth you can see where the family garden is, he says that when he was younger they'd walk behind the disk and pick up points, has coffee cans full of 'em. I imagine on our first trip I'll do lots of surface hunting first, in the garden and down by the river...if anybody has advice it would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Arkansas mounds!

Rob, there is also limestone in Benton County, of which you may find as midden rock, and may further have been a source for chert for making points. Sounds pretty exciting, and I hope you can dig without any hassles.

Thanks for the input guys. I told you wrong, the town is Benton and the county is Saline..Hal will you be at chrisner's this coming weekend, I should be there on Saturday the 15th, would like to meet you and the gang.....

Rob, No Chrisners this wkend, I dont get up that way very much at all...Matter of fact it seems to work out to be only when Richard throws a great Brisket bash.