Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hill Country Honey

RY

Re: Hill Country Honey

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
RGS

Those are some nice finds! That is a great scottsbluff too.

Nice display RY, very tastefully done!

Good show RY,,,Diggin or lookin ?

I used to know some places where you could find points on the surface.I found a ton of tools on the surface where i found these,but there was some diggin involved.The Scotts bluff measures 3 1/4"s long.According to the field guide of stone artifacts they are common in texas,but in 30 years, its the first I have found.

Well now, well done.
I found your Scottsbluff very interesting. I found a Scottsbluff back in February in association with the teeth and part of the skull cap of a Bison Antiquus. This species of bison became extinct at the end of the last iceage. The interesting thing about these two Scottsbluffs is how much these two points look alike............to the point of being made by the same person. I am convinced that many of the really fine pieces we find here in Texas were in many cases made by the same person. A Paleoknapper with superior skills and a proclivity for productivity and distribution could have made thousands of points in his or her lifetime and very probably made a very good living.
My Father dug in the same site for 56 years and it always amused him to find a point made by someone he "knew ".
A photo of my Scottsbluff is posted here on 8 FEb BISON ANTIQUUS

Redman, all good finds and good story re the Scottsbluff's. That Bison old parts you found may have been as big as a teenage Momouth ! ! !

That recent TV documentary, 10,000 BC notes that that is one of the creatures that didn't make it past the abrupt weather change about 10K BC, So it's a Scottsbluff Antiquus too !

Thats a nice point as well Redman.Years ago over on Bull creek close to Austin,we dug a site there.My brother found an intact buffalo skull, several feet deep, in the side of a trench we were working.He scratched, and scraped, and picked all day being very careful.About the time we thought it was coming out, the slightest tug turned it into dust.We were ready to cry!But the biggest Montel spear point I have ever seen was lying in the rubble.Obviously used to kill the animal.Most montels I think are considered not as old as alot of other types.But it was found about 2 1/2' deep.I agree though the workmanship on the Scottsbluff is obviously superior.

I watched the 10,000 BC documentary also SH.It was very intresting and informative on the Folsom culture.I never knew the Camel was native to North America,and then migrated to the Middle East.It must have gotten lost.

I missed the show again! The next and last chance is on April 1st at 8:00 am and 2:00 pm.

Mike W you did'nt graduate from Leander high school class of 1977 did you ?

Negative RY, 1969 in west texas.

Sorry Mike, I see it in the other post now...Thanks