Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NOT YOUR GRANDPA'S EASTER EGG HUNT

PECKERS UPDATE IS IN FOR EASTER 2000 and GREAT, Hit the March link on the front page.

We have all missed something good occasionaly in the throw dirt but this was like throwin a 4 inch Andice... Easter eggs & cold beer !!

Very nicely done...AND on the same day as the dig,sorta like FNN [ FLINT NEWS NETWORK ]

Re: NOT YOUR GRANDPA'S EASTER EGG HUNT

Add to the last message in case you dont see a new update for 3-23-08

HIT THE "REFRESH" BUTTON

Hal, I've noticed that you use a potatoe rake to dig with like I do. I've used them for a long time without ever damaging a point, but mostly dig sideways or at an angle in a bank, and only straight down at top to remove the surface layers. When I use a pick, I use a pick mattox that has a grub end for the weight. I've never used this wiggle pick thing like pecker does, and think it would much harder to get a good bite with it in a tight wall, so I haven't been inclined to buy one. I have even manufactured longer, more slender tips for the mattox type pick that have worked really well. Would you care to share your thoughts/ experience with these digging aspects?

OK OK .. Enough with the Pecker Mike!!!

I will show you HOW to use a wiggle pick if you start up that!!! hehehehe

The hand rakes are really great.. Hal made one for me also.. I likke my wiggle pick from Loen the best though.. Works good for the way my broke back works

Using those old swing picks would kill me !!!!!

Michelle!!!

Mike, out of couresy to a direct question I will divulge all [ almost all ]. There was a time on this site where a battle was RAGING, to the point of slander, condemnations and near duel chalenges....Over what was the better,,,,WOOD handled wiggle picks or METAL. I learned my lessons about 5 years ago...You CANNOT change peoples digging tools & methods, They ENJOY "doing it their way". I manufactured a couple of fine earth movers for an old digging buddy.....Now his wife has the finest gardening tools on the block ! ! !

So here goes...

If potato rake is the proper term, thats it. Mine was a full size handled 4 tine from Home Depot [ $18.00 ] cut down to 16 inches. There are ZERO substitutes for the best quality tempered steel. I use different techniques as you say depending on conditions. I think you refered to the fact few know is that it IS a great wiggle pick in some situations. Small root cutter over a tine, a root bent in half an ripped needs no clippers. I almost laugh when I've seen some diggers wasting time delicatly pushing back leaves, brush and rocks from their dig area. Nuff said, I like my rake.

My companion top tool, No one is sure what to call it...FOOT PICK, FOOTSIE, FOOTER, **** THING.
It's a quality 36'' crow bar. Heat treated "kink" straightened. Curved end re-bent and piece welded on to form a comfortable handle. Back to the other end, grind to a good point [ not too delicate ] and a 3/8ths X 4'' bolt welded on ten inches up from point.
My standard answer for "what is THAT??" is...a wiggle pick for old people...turns 'em right off and I get no more questions.

In this tell all summary the actual fact is, on a day long [ 10 hrs ] dig it is less tireing than a sewer trenching pick. It works on a wider range of soil conditions than the pick and the QUANTITY of material moved can be spectacular. Thats why I dont mind the "old peoples tag"...They have no idea what they are missing. If luck DOESNOT run in your family poking any piece of metal into the ground could break something...under some conditions the footsie will loosen a "lump" about 5 gal bucket in size..THEN rake through for those thin thin Montells.

My present rig suits me. When my tools were evolving I went through the wiggle pick only phase and I created the MARK VI....its actually a VARIABLE PITCH TORQUE CONVERTER. It feachures interchangeable 10 inch and 19 inch tempered Home Depot tempered blades.

Handles "swings" and locks from about 80 degrees to STRAIGHT. And obviously folds flat like a pocket knife for transport. This item reached full potential where I was diggin & picken in tight boulder cracks as can be seen on Michelle's { Pecker ] coverage of the WATERFALL MIDDEN" coverage.

Re reference to Pecker's wiggle...That tool as you see in pics is probably compareable to a MARK I model . To watch that tool at work would put a wood pecker to shame. The meathods used on different soils cover the full range of the above described footer. It was never as long as the standard 19" wiggle pick, then when prying a huge boulder out, it Broke in the middle...No big deal, just overlap the ends and reweld [ now shorter still ]. It really does the job...like a surgeon with a flint scalpal!!

TH TH TH THATS ALL FOR NOW FOLKS

Hal, Thanks ever so much for all that info! I liked it so well that I copied it for reference, and I do appreciate the in depth discussion. I had no idea that so much bunk over it went on before. It's always been my experience as well that it's different strokes for different folks when it comes to digging, and people are going to do whatever suites them best. I particularly liked the footer tool idea. I built something very similar in principle, only it was used to drive into a bank/ wall about 12 to 14 inches, then a cheater pipe slid over the end of the rod also about 1 foot for caving out huge sections at a time. It worked very well, and saved alot of needles pick swinging to get the same amount down, and reduced odds of hitting and busting a point. Again, thanks as I did ask for all the Right reasons.
Michelle, Not knockin your wiggle pick at all. I'm sure it's a good tool for you, and well suited as a woman thing. I can still swing a pick all day, but at my age, I ain't worth much the next day, and about the only thing that ain't sore is....well, I sure do like your nickname though (Thanx Hal)!! Heheheh!