Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
No-till bummer

Well it's been a wile since I've surface hunted back home in north texas. Now that no-till farming has befun it will be super difficult to find points in plowed fields now. Does anyone know about what percent of farmers have gone to "no-tilling"?

Re: No-till bummer

Hi Travis- Can you explain this no till farming a little bit? Haven't heard about it. Thanks, John

Here's what I got from wikipedia.com

Producing crops usually involves regular tilling that agitates the soil in various ways, usually with tractor-drawn implements. Tilling is used to remove weeds, mix in soil amendments like fertilizers, shape the soil into rows for crop plants and furrows for irrigation, and prepare the surface for seeding. This can lead to unfavorable effects, like soil compaction; loss of organic matter; degradation of soil aggregates; death or disruption of soil microbes, arthropods, and earthworms; and soil erosion where topsoil is blown or washed away. No-till farming thus avoids these unfavorable effects by reducing or excluding the use of conventional tillage. But this could be a very useful tool in solving global warming.

anyways that's my delima

Thanks Travis for the info. Doesn't sound too good for us surface field hunters, here in West Texas cotton field hunting is about the only way to find artifacts. This is a bummer indeed.

John,
Have you noticed if they have been going to no-till out there? I've heard that about 1/3 have changed and increasing..

No Travis, here in the Midland and Odessa area none of the farmers have converted as of yet. I hadn't heard of it at all until I saw your post today. I will try and find out more on this from some of the land owners, I know a lot of them. This could littery kill the arrowhead hunting in this area but what ever will happen will happen, I guess. Keep us posted as I will do the same. Thanks again.

Thanks John. I hope they don't out there.