Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
found somthing neat!

i got permission to hunt arrowheads from a farmer who has a thousand arces of ground and he should a pretty good collection of points he has found in his fields while working .....well anyway i was hunting his feilds and i had found 2 decent points and a bread sack full of shards when i saw a big whitetail shed anter down in the bottom of a rocky creek revine....so on the way to go pick it up i saw a bunch of drawings on the rock walls and i was wondering if they had camped here and if it was good place to dig or what were these paintings to indians are they special or may it be a burial ground that i should stay out of, cause there was a alot of history on the rock walls? the farmer said his realtives bought the land from the nez perce a long long time ago

Re: found somthing neat!

Well now Duker, you are not anywhere in the realm of providing enough information to answer your questions.
Nez Perces are in somewhat short supply here in Texas so I must assume you are in the vicinity of the Wallowa Valley in Idaho. If your farmer friend's family really bought the land from the Nez Perces that should be recorded for posterity as most settlers just waited for the US Army to kick the indians' ass and then took their land.
So you found some rock drawings on some cliff facing and you don't know what to do? For starters just walk about and sort of poke around, Don't worry about evil or even benevolent spirits; thats all a bunch of made up religious ghostly nonsense. If you do believe in ghosts, trolls, fairies, goblins, leprechauns or elves perhaps you should take up another hobby. There is no way you can disturb dead people; dead is dead and beyond being disturbed. If it is private land and you have permission to dig then you are past square one. . There are still lots of Indians in Idaho and there should be a whole thundering herd of archaic laws pertaining to digging. Check the law, obey the law. Don't be concerned about the morals of hallowed burial grounds, in actuality , hallowed is just an adjective. There is a Baptist Church in Fort Bend County built on top of an old slave cemetery so burial ground sanctity is just another of society's grand pretend crocks.

I heartily agree with Redman...IF there was any curse / warning associated with said pictos...

YOU WOULD ALREADY BE DEAD.

i dont beleive in all that spirit crap but i just didnt want to be a dick and go poking around offending poeple....because it is on the rezervation and indians get all butt hurt when they even hear about poeple picking up artifacts, even the ones that find them legally.

I guess that's one word you can get away with saying.

Well now, the moronic anthropologists at the Smithsonian and other institutions gather physical, pathological, dietary, demographic and cultural evidence from the skeletal remains or early Amerindian people. Congress passed a law in 1990 requiring the Smithsonian and other museum collections to return those remains that could be identified by tribe to those tribes.
The Houston Archeological Society excavated 82 Amerindians graves in west Fort Bend County in the 1990's. Those remains could not be identified by tribe and were reburied after the research work was completed.
First, always obey the law.
Second, if you believe that digging in a burial ground is wrong then don't do it.

Well now, on a lighter note: Back in the 70's or so, the Lower Colorado River Authority was getting ready to build the Fayette County Lake. There were several little country cemeteries in the proposed area and all of them were to be exhumed and moved.
Under the auspices of the LCRA I came into the possession of my Great Great Uncle Charlie's remains. All in all Charlie was in pretty good shape considering how long he had been down under. He was buried wearing a heavy wool suit and brogue shoes. I reburied him by hand in the family plot in the Fayetteville City Cemetery. For future reference, it takes three men about a case and a half of64AJ beer to properly rebury someone in sandy soil.

the farmer that owns the land said he has never heard of any graves being found even when his relatives originally cleared the ground in the early 1920's so i did go out there today and dug around the wall drawings i didnt really find much either, just a couple of broken birdies, some scrapers, and some burnt rock....but i was reading around in a book about rock paintings and it said that the nezperce didnt paint rocks and that the ones around here where painted by migrating flatheads passing through.