Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
REFERENCE; EXOTIC POINT OF THE WEEK

Regarding that beautiful exotic find of Ernie R. at Randy's dig site and now graces the front page a "the find of the week"

I believe that some "exotics" started off life as a common "something" then someone altered it for their own purpose like a practice piece, special funeral gift, ornamental gift etc etc.

The general shape and size has a hint of BIG SANDY...Then as I'm a big believer that some points could be from distant places as per the scholars [
I have one item from Williamson TX that I dug myself so I know it's real, that is listed in the books from the KENTUCKY vicinity ]
The examples of Big Sandy in the SOUTH CENTRAL section of the overton's including Texas is HORRIBLE !

So I looked in other sections....Gulf coast [GC] North central [NC]...East central.......BINGO

Start page 350...take your choice...The overall outline and the side notches are a PERFECT match. There are 4 pages of Big Sandy examples.

That unique basal notch makes it exotic...in Texas, but on page 351 and 352 there are a couple of types that where base notched is their standard design.
East central area is shown in the book as being as close as MISSISSIPPI extending up to the U/P of MICHIGAN.

Maybe someone from Detroit was vacationing In Texas and Stayed at the Randy KOA !

Re: REFERENCE; EXOTIC POINT OF THE WEEK

You are most definitly right about the Overprice Book being Horrible and sadly lacking with some type examples, and the pricing guide is nothing short of a Fantasy. I guess they are calling the point an exotic form......since they don't know WHAT to call it! Your Big Sandy variation certainly seems viable, but there are also appear to be 3 variations with Frio points as well, one of which matches close enough for scrutiny. Most of us know what the Buck Tooth form of Montell looks like, but the Big Foot form of Frio is not that common, is certainly larger, and seems to occur more in the South part of the hill country than the North. Being relavant to the middle/late archaic, maybe the flintsmiths of the culture had Buck Teeth and Big Feet, and were referred to as the....exotic ones!

Holy coincidence flintman !! Look what just got found in CALIFORNIA...

Go to the TXCache site...
LATEST FINDS...click
DANA'S FIND...click

Look at the bottom pic and be sure to "click on" to enlarge or it wont be large enough for comparison.

A WOW point !!

The point has been sent to Rogers for a COA.
I will let you know how he names it..

FYI:
Rogers called it a Frio.
A rare large notched form.

Wow! Thanks for the update

Randy, I see it is precisely what I told you it was!

Randy......Just saw the new finds by Clay G on your website. Whats your wild guess to that point bottom left [ not the blade ]. Is that some family resemblance to the point Dwain wall papered ??

SH- yes I think they may be related seeing as how the dirt came from the same general area.
Still want to go Gold Nugget Hunting in Arizona with me??

Mike- This point was found real deep- much deeper than any frio point might have come from. So I personally feel it is NOT a Frio but thats just my opinion.

If we find another one then we will really have something to talk about.