Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I have a question about bird points

Hi everyone this is my first post on this board. I have been checking this site out for a long while now and I love this site so thank you for this site. I just found my first point the other day(I have found a few knives). I can lay it on a dime and it does not overlap. It looks like a scallorn according to a few books I have. My question is are bird points for burials and other special occasions or what? If it is for such occasions would there be more? It came from NW Oklahoma in a friends back yard. I also picked up about 200+ chips(got tired of picking up chips so I left most of them there). It all came out of a spot about 40'x40'. There has been a few other points found in the same area. I will try to put up a pic of it later. Thank you for the help and the your time.

Re: I have a question about bird points

Birdpoint is a misnomer...just as arrowhead is. Older, larger points should really be referred to as dart points and the smaller "birdpoints" are the true "arrowheads". Recurve bow technology came much later in the course of native history... and when it did, the points got smaller so as not to weigh down the arrow much so it could fly true.

Nicely done Brad! Yes, only the Arrow Point is the true arrowhead, of which metal ones followed during the indian wars period with early settlers. If the arrowhead (birdie) was hafted well, the arrow could easily bring down a deer. It often took several arrows, and or an atlatal to down buffalo or bear.

Welcome aboard Robert!

Thanks guys for the info. Would it be worth going around that spot on my hands and knees trying to see the little fellas? That was the only way I found the one that I did I was on my hands and knees picking up chips out of a mole hill and there it was. Thanks again for the info.