Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Few finds from the shelter 4-5-08

Nothing special, just two scrapers, a tip, a mussel and 2 bird points. I didn't really dig as much as I wanted, nor did I come up with a concoction such as Hal suggested. Everything I dug from the shelter except the bird point on the left. I guess indians ate the mussel? I've also seen where they use them as tools.

Photobucket

This little bird point was complete untill I dropped it and broke the base off. Anyone know what it is? The quality looks like it was made by the same 8 year old that made Michelle's corner tang.
Oh, and it was the only surface find of the bunch. It lasted on the surface all those years and I dropped it and broke it. We saw 9 deer while at the ranch and none of them or their ancestors every stepped on it.
Photobucket

The broken one
Photobucket

I did a little more exploring around and found out that five of our rock shelters have had ancient fires. Well, it looks like we will be digging for a long time.

Re: Few finds from the shelter 4-5-08

Hi DJ, Good update / report....This combined with some of your past finds, About now I would think what you need most is a "MORAL BOOSTER" or,an "ENTHUSIASM GENERATOR"

That is a very special find to help the energy to keep going....Like a CLOVIS or FOLSOM missile !!!

Keep slugging, it's an interesting project. Even in midden digging [ Vs shelters ] We consider mussell and clam shell a great habitation indicator. Better than bone that an animal might have brought there.

Too bad about breaking the find of the weekend, after surviving all those ceturies....it's time has come !!!

If caving is slow, what plans are afoot for the fire rock areas ???? Maybe save the cool, shady caves for July and August ? ! ? ! ?

I should have thought of that before Hal. Well, my next trip may be at the end of May. Being in the desert, I will probably keep it going in the shelters. I don't see myself getting back to the middens untill next fall maybe.

DJ, Your Birdie(arrow point) is a Bonham. If it were a G#9,or 10, I'd say send it to Dr. Gomer. Too bad it broke. Have you ever seen the creek flowing below the caves?

No Mike, I've never seen it flowing. It only has pockets of water that are hard to find. I wonder when the last time it was running? That mussel makes me wonder if it was flowing a thousand years ago.

I was just wondering about it since there was record rainfall in the area about this time last year, and thought you might have noticed something on one of your trips. The shells are good signs of habitation. They were good sources of protien.