Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
This weekend's finds...

Posted on TC as well, those of you who frequent both sites disregard. I wanted everyone to be able to see the nice Montell....

2 beautiful heatbreakers..one translucent perd and a great bucktooth montell... overall a good weekend to be out diggin'. Enjoy.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: This weekend's finds...

Hi Brad, Your weekly finds are really starting to add up nicely....I went back and re-read your comments on your "new" area. You and your buddy seem to have found a proper new overlooked area because your finds are way to many for anyone ever to have accidentally tossed out into their throw. The variety is neat, Perds to Gower, that a good time line.

So now that you've confirmed a good area, have you done that all important, REALLY deep test hole ??

I wish you good luck...because BAD LUCK would be fighting your way five feet down and finding a gorgeous unbroken CLOVIS.! NOW you gotta move 50 tons of overburden !!!

Nice finds Brad! That Montell is sure worth sending off for repair!

Im 4 ft down in the hole where we recovered the "cache" of Gowers and there is a ton of occupation sign at the bottom. The only real pieces I have found down that far are two broken backs from knives that were tossed in a fire. I'm still hopeful to find paleo..all the early archaic has come from that side of the ditch. Luckily I dont have to clean a hole out so to speak..just dig at the proper depth into the ditch wall. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be headed out for a couple hours after work.

P.S. It isn't that the site has been overlooked...it's just so massive an area (15 acres?) all of campsites from various time periods. I've counted 5 "mounds" and thats just those that are visable....6 if you count the one on the other side of the ditch where the gowers came from. It takes a little "injun-uity" to figure out where occupation occured that has not yet been disturbed by sloppy diggers. Truely a rare chance to dig a site like this....and I will as much as possible, as in the near future (5 years or less) I estimate it all to be developed and turned into condos with a view of a creek; probably with no mention of the historical importance such a site holds.

Reminds me of the good ole days digging around Austin, and most of the time just ahead of the dozers! I'm sure your vision of condos with a view of the creekside is on key. So much campsite....so little time. Your right, development won't say nothing about an historic indian site......a hike and bike trail is about the best they would do, and even then they would likely have to be pressured into it. I hope you do have 5 years left.....maybe since were on the edge of another potential recession, the pace might slow down some. At any rate....Good Luck, and dig while you can!

Its a shame most people are so busy chasing the buck they dont realize and or care of the things they walk all over on a daily basis. Perhaps if each had to live as the ancients did for just a month, a greater appreciation of the beauty of nature and the things it has to offer would be achieved; not to mention a respect for one another and a comradery that Americans once had that is long lost.