Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Clovis or Corner Tang?

Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to get some kind of idea as to what people prefer.. Would you rather find a beautiful fluted Clovis Point or an Awesome Corner Tang??

Re: Clovis or Corner Tang?

I would probably rather find a Corner Tang, but either one I would be happy about. What about you Travis?

I don't know DJ. I'm real hung up on clovis points right now, especially if it has good basal grinding..

Well now, Clovis and Corner Tangs, one being very old , rare and rather uniquely American and the other being somewhat younger, rarer and rather uniquely Texan.
According to Dwain Roger's book, CORNER TANG KNIVES ACROSS TEXAS, fewer than 1500 specimens of corner tang knives are known to exist.
The largest and finest corner tang ever found ( eleven inches, page 41 in Dwain's book) came from a burial ground here in Austin County. It was collected by those Freakin' Morons from the Texas Archeological Research Laboratory at the University of Texas at Austin.
Corner tangs are found to a certain degree in association with burials and by all indications were highly valued and carefully curated by their owners.
If one digs in areas of early human habitation, sooner or later burials may be encountered. In many cases there is very little of the actual human remains remaining. Should you ever find a corner tang in such a burial situation and you find that it is damaging to your personal moral sensibilities then just toss it back in the hole and cover it up.

Hi Redman, interesting details, I'm almost surprised to hear that the ancients coveted C-tangs as much as we do. There are so many hundreds [ thousands ! ] of "blades" I would have thought anyone wanting the prestige of Ctang ownership would easily knick two notches in the right place. Sort of a Hong Kong knock off. I'm a little shy of Ctangs myself, even a Friday blade knock off would look good. [ I dont mean MODERN altering though. ]

Re which would I rather...as long as it's wishful dreaming [same as winning the lottery next week ] I'd like to dream of digging down to a good paleo level and pickup a Ctang going past archaic

After finding both types,as rare as they both are,and enjoying the exhilaration of discovering them.If at all possible I would prefer a nice blade or spear point from the Folsom culture.