Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Finds From Clay Co. Texas- ID Help

I thought I'd give an update. A few weeks ago I should yall these pics.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I found these 3 yesterday right up on this hill. Not sure the types. The flint colors up here around my hometown are amazing. I was told in highschool that these Indians traded with other Indians for some of that Panhandle flint. The majority of these points up here (15 miles south of the Red River) are little birdies and are of mixed colors. The one on the far left looks reworked to me.
Photobucket

Re: New Finds From Clay Co. Texas- ID Help

Hey Trav, Good Finds! The First one is definitely a Fresno that looks like it was retipped as a perforating tool. The great creamy yellow one is most likely an Ellis, and the reddish one probably is also, but it sure looks more like Savage Cave. Only problem with that is it's probably outside of it's known range of distribution, and I do not know if the Savage Cave type has ever been found in Texas. Thats about the best I can do. Did you decide to try any digging at this site yet? Keep ah lookin!

Mike, That's the 2nd Fresno in less than a week. I have never even found a Fresno. And this was found 80 miles north than the Fresno I found last Sunday. That's pretty interesting stuff. The yellow one is the only one I dug up. In fact, I didn't find much flint below the ground at all. Mostly all on top. Then again I was diggin on a little dirt path that had been trampled on. Thanks for the reply.

Fresno is a Mississippian age point, and an 80 mile distribution distance is not at all unusual for Southern Plains cultures following antelope or buffalo. The Fresno is one of the types thought to have been used by the Kiowas. Ellis is a bit older, late archaic, and you can sure tell some differences in craftmanship between the two, as this type is considered a small dart point. Over time, I think you'll find that the better whole points are buried...and the ones you dig up! Your doing good up there! Every good arrow point collector needs a good sifting screen, hope you got yours, and best of Luck!

Thanks alot for your help Mike. Much appreciated!

Henrietta focus stuff. Should be some Harrells and an occasional Huffaker too, with those Wa****as. They usually left some small catlinite pipes layin' around, as well.

Hey Travis, that phone a insitu shot? Cool finds. That terrain reminds me of some land I used to hunt on in Graham.

Hey D.J,
no, that's not an insitu shot. I was just trying to show the size of those grinding holes or whatever you call them by using the cell phone. Yeah it does kinda looks like Graham right there. Most of the land around that area is pretty flat though. It was fun none the less..

Mike Walker,
Thanks for the comment. Yeah it's about 2 miles away from Henrietta. I wish I could dig there more.

The land we hunted on in Graham was ruined. It used to be real thick with trees and deer until they cut all the trees down, and now it is wide open. My friend found a bird point on that place, but at the time I really didn't care to much. Things have changed. The remark about the phone was a joke.

Oh sorry DJ. It was late when I read it. I gotcha now. That would be a Paleo cell phone. Later man.