Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Texas Independence day

I hope everyone appreciates Texas Independence day as much as I do.Born native Texan it means alot to me.If not for all the sacrifices alot of brave men made we would'nt have alot of the thing's we take for granted.Like digging for artifacts,or lots of other freedoms we have today.I include a photo of my GGG Grandfathers headstone,Abner Spier buried in Elgin Texas in my family cemetery,in Spier cemetery.This plot of land on which it lies was given to him after fighting in battles of the Republic of Texas.Photobucket

Re: Texas Independence day

RY,
I hear ya. It's a great day for Texas. My GGGG grandfather fought at the Battle of San Jacinto for our state. Very proud!

My GGGGG uncle James Butler Bonham fought in the Alamo.

OOOP's that was GGG Grandma,I'm going to be resting there to someday,so I wanted to get it right!

Photobucket

Well now, we all have 64 Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfathers. I sometimes think about them and wonder about what they were like. Some of them at least were not partial to arrowheads.
I grew up as a loyal son of the South and was somewhat dismayed in later years to learn that half my Great Great Great Grandpas fought for the North.

our family has been in texas before the fall of the alamo..

and most fought for the south during the civil war

my gt gt grandfathers brother was shot in killed by the indians raiding along currys creek in kendalia while him and a slave were looking for oxen the slave made it home safe but he was shot and scalped

if you ever read the boy captives about the smith brothers they mention it in the book and its also mentioned in the book indian depridations in texas

his name was jessee lawhon but the spelled it longhorn in the book

Happy belated Independance day to all you really, really native Texans. I did a quick family history research of my own and it seems all MY great greats arrived here just 400 years after the Mayflower greats ! !

It seems though there could be a modern day Alamo for newbie Texans to fight for independance......

" Remember the GAS STATION "

Yeah, no joke Hal. Everytime I see the gas prices go up it makes me think that I'll be going to Sanderson less and less.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of you're heritage or you're legacy.Everyone should be, no matter where you're from!My family came from Germany,and migrated through New York into the midwest.My latter relatives lived in the ozark's of Missouri,and there's several river's and town's named after them.Four of them, brother's actually had a silver mine in the Ozark's and minted their own silver dollar.But the content was a higher grade ore than what the goverment was minting at the time,and they of course stopped it.The actual mine is still being looked for as it's location is hidden.

Nice reply people,History is intresting especially family and Texas, Lee I own both the books you mentioned,and recommend them both very highly.Indian depredations by Wilbarger was a favorite as it spoke of local history,and breaks it down county by county on who was killed,scalped,kidnapped.The fact that Walburger was scalped near Walnut creek in Travis county ,and lived to tell about it was amazing.Ironically he bumped his head on a nail above the doorway which eventually led to gangrene and his death.

Sorry
I was born a YANKEE

RY, if your talking about the Yochum dollar from southern Missouri then we are distant cousins. I have the history of stone county missouri book which documents the Yochum family history from the 1600's to the 1900's its a great read along with a few surprises.

Joe

Hey cuz,nice to meet you!! That would be it! Actually the James river was named after one of them also.After further investigation I found that Yocum falls,on Mt. Hood in Oregon was named from one of my relatives that went there from Missouri,and was the first person to take photographs there.He made them into postcards.You can find them on ebay every once in awhile.