Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Palo Pinto Co Finds

Here's some stuff we found today.

Leonard found these. Anyone know what types?

Photobucket
Photobucket

I busted these. whoops
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Palo Pinto Co Finds

Hey, Travis. I tried to email you a week or so ago. Just thought I'd let you know your not alone in Palo Pinto county.

Not sure what those are called but I find a lot of stuff made out of the material on the right. Are you digging or surface hunting?

Give me a holler anytime.

Hi Travis, I wouldn't want to name the point in the right, pointed on both ends does not always a Harahey make !

However I am POSITIVE about the point on the LEFT, its a BLADE...broken in THREE PIECES.

If those two slabs really have a bit of a depresion from grinding, they ARE treasures, not everyone has one of those.

All nice finds, somebody just has to work on their non breaking skills !

SH
When you break them you have more artifacts to add to you collection. Are we doing it wrong? Isn't more better. Sometimes stuff just comes out that way.

Your doing fine Leonard........no I wouldn't recommend digging for matates with a dental pick either! My last limestone matate weighed 200lbs, and it still came out with pick marks on it (because it came out upside down).
The late archaic knife looks worthy of restoration (left), and as for the mystery blade (right), of which I have seen before is also a knife, but these double pointed ones have yet to be given a type name, or so I'm told. It's a definite keeper. You didn't slip a caddoan blade in to tease us did you?

Hi Leonard, Yes more is good. Nobody should worry about breakages, I understand that after the first $5,000. Corner tang comes out in four pieces, each worth $1.97 the breakages slow down considerably !

Alot of time one can determine the type of point a metal digging tool found just by the sound. For instance MONTELLS are very thin, say a 4 inch one will give off a high pitched " tinkle ", sort of like a very expensive bone china tea cup disintegrating.
A very large PERD is much chunkier and might have a lower pitched sound more like Walmart crockery.

And something as sturdy as a Mamoth slaying, thick, 7 inch CLOVIS sounds like an ordinary flint core block.

Typical Scallorn or Wa****a preform and a small first stage Harahay knife.

HaHa! Nice edit on the W-a-s-h-i-t-a.

LOVE how this programs edits sometimes!!

That wasn't even right! hehe

Thanks!
Michelle