Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FRL 4/3-4

Here are some pics of finds from this weekend. I'll get some insitu's up later on in the week; I have a bunch.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Heartbrokes

Re: FRL 4/3-4

Looking good, I like the nice Kerrville at top, and the small frio looks like it's all there! Sure are some heart breakers in the bottom mix.

Hal, Saturday I dug the test hole in the field and found the one fat blade and patinated marshall. My partner found a nice base tang with just a little nick on one edge and a nice complete marshall....but I couldn't handle digging there two days in a row. The ground is super hard out there (even though you don't have to dig very deep to get to the gravel.

Sunday I dug near trench 1 and produced the rest of the finds....I missed one small perdiz and my partner came over to see how I was doing and snagged it ( I told him I dropped it there for him cause I felt sorry for him..he wasn't finding much).

The other folks that were there found some good stuff too.. saw a grade 10 montell come out and several nice 5" + perds on sunday..couple neat drills as well.

Great finds!

Hi Brad, very interesting technical report on FRL for those that know the lay of the land and maybe for some thinking of going soon.... I'm almost flabergasted to read your finds in the field "test hole". Did anyone mention to you that, that is where Sam found that great G11 1/2 ....5 inch corner tang that graces the front cover of TXCH magazine ?? On our recent visit TWO seperate people asked if it was OK to dig there [ I said yes, it's part of the trenching now ] A BASE TANG plus misc pcs sounds like a hot spot. Wish I was heading out there soon with this input in hand, dry soil is no match for my midden blaster model wiggle pick.

I'm not sure on my designations of trench 1 & 2. The one near where I was digging [ and found most of my "stuff" ] is kinda middle and was the second one dug. The first dug trench is pretty close t
o the NORTH end [ kinda across from the field test
hole ]

That seemed a good area based on Chip's posted finds.

Dry soil or no, the next few months will be interesting to hear digger's reports of dealing with
120* temps !

Tks for the words.

Trench 1 = first dug trench near the field test hole. I thought that corner tang came from an area near trench 3 that was dug too shallow but I could be mistaken. If you guys need another in your party when you do get down there, Hal, gimie a shout...I'd be happy to pitch in my share (60 mile drive for me so it isn't hard to up and go).

I have a general question about FRL. I haven't been to the site yet. I had heard through the grapevine that when you showed the people in charge the great finds you had for the day, they would rope off that area the next morning and would dig there themselves. Has anyone seen that before or is this just a rumor? By the way, those are some fantastic points. How large is the campsite? How many people normally come and dig for the weekend or is there enough ground for a large number of people to dig? Ed

Edmund, Don't believe that garbage.

Sam @ FRL

Ed, I had a great time there and would go back in a minute. All of those points I found were more than 100 yards from the area that was supposedly roped off from digging because of what was found in it. There are 10 or more "mounds" just from what I counted...no telling how many smaller camps.

Found everything from bird points to early archaic in the spot I dug on my second day.

I greatly appreciate the information. Like I said before, I haven't been there before. I have seen all the excellent pieces coming out of there. I unfortunately have been involved with 1 pay dig that did have some rediculous hoopla going on. For that reason I haven't been back there. I was just trying to make sure there weren't any problems with this site. I certainly wasn't trying to insult you Sam. I just wanted to know what diggers had to say. I look forward to coming out to dig when I can get it scheduled.