Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
POSTED FOR FRED M - Can anyone identify these??

THESE ARE FRINDS FROM FREED M.

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THESE FOR HIM? HE WANTED ME TO POST THEM FOR
HIM

Both found near Bastrop on

Saturday 5-3-08 -Thanks, Fred

Re: POSTED FOR FRED M - Can anyone identify these??

Can do malady! The First one is a classic Travis Point(middle through late archaic), and a nice one.

The Second is a broken Frio Point(same age span).

Could the complete point possibily be a Morhiss also?
silver

Nope, no rounded base.

Agree with Travis, on the first. However, second appears more Merrill than Frio. Would require context for correct ID. Not many are aware of the early archaic "Merrill", which usually has more rounded auricles than Frio.

I have no archeological reference for this Merrill type. Could you direct me to your source for it? I'd appreciate having it in my archival material.
Thanks, Mike

Merrill

Name thrown around in the 60's for an early archaic point with bifurcated stem and blunted auricles. Name not accepted officially, but some diggers still use it, as there is no other name offered. They usually have a "Mickey Mouse" eared appearance, however the auricles are sometimes square or odd shaped. Many are beveled from sharpeninhg. They are earlier than Angostura down around Uvalde.

merrills

These are west texas examples of a fella named Justin.

Thanks much for the information, of which has left me a bit stunned! I have several of these in my collection, and just assumed they were Frio variants. Down around Uvalde is where I am at now, and what stuns me is that I have found them at least alongside angosturas! If Merill could be transitional paleo down here, could it also be a predessor form linking to Frio? (of which has 3 variant forms as is). I'm elated at this new knowledge and most intrigued by it.