Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help with ID on a point

Can anybody tell me what this is?I found this point recently on a dig and I can't find anything in the overstreet book.It came from a site that's produced 6 clovis's and this was 18 inches below the clovis dirt.It's 4 inches long and heavy patinated.It was in a different color of dirt also.All that the pro's there could tell me was they don't know what it is but it's very old.
Point?

Re: Help with ID on a point

It might've been possible that the dirt in the area was turbulated by erosion at some time in the past. If the site is near a creek/river or in a low area surrounded by higher topography, then it's possible that things got mixed up before being recovered again. The rounded base sure look's Archaic to me though & 'ears' didn't appear until that time also.
silver

Beneath a clovis layer....possibilities are endless. Perhaps the longlost "pre-clovis" site has been found.

If in fact there was no terrain change or hole dug in the clovis layer to bury this lil guy, it could be the discovery of the decade.

I'd believe more information could be useful in identifying the point. Perhaps the county in which it was found, and any other items of interest that came out of the same layer. (hearth rock, shell, other rock types, etc.)

Yes sir, It was found in Bastrop County Texas. The Colorado River is 150 feet below the site,so I don't think it's been flooded.I haven't found anything else of interest in that layer,not even rock. I'll check and see if anybody has found anything in that layer. The layer it was found in is that orange clay type soil.Most of the points have been found in the brown dirt and the sandy area. There's been a lot of agate basins found and a little bit of everything has been found there.

Todd, did you find it with Bob? If you did, I have been 3 times to that dig since Nov.

Yes I did. I've only been twice and found some really great points. But he didn't even know what this one might be. You know the area it was found?. How did you do there?

The dirt out there has been pushed back and forth repeatedly for at least a hundred years. I found a Dr. Pepper can two feet below a Bulverde not long ago. Great stuff there however.
The point kind of looks like an Alberta which is early archaic. Maybe a Dawson? I'm no expert on Texas pts though.

Possibly a nolan ?

I suspect the maker of your point was in the ADENA family tree. Adenas were very widespread outside of TX, if you dont like what you see on page 517....try EC, page 335

Your not going to like the age !

Todd, I know that I have found alot of civil war stuff right next old, old points out there. That dirt has been moved around alot so I wouldn't get my hopes up about it. But you have a nice point for sure! I posted all my finds since nov. under bastrop finds. Check em' out...

It certainly has the dawson shank, but the width is the only thing bothering me, as it dose not look resharpened. You can always send it to Dwain, as it's probably worth papering anyway. Great Find.

That's what I like about this site. All the help and information that is given here.

I called my wife and had her look up the pages that SH gave (because she kept the new overstreet and sent me the old one)and she said it does look like an Adena or Dawson.I'm not disappointed at all.I'm still pretty new to digging and still get excited when we find broken pieces.Heck,I pick up choppers that everybody else throws down.

I think I will send it to Dwain just to see what he says.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Travis, email me. I'd like to see your points and civil war stuff from Bastrop.I seen some of the points on here but this computer shuts me out of this site all the time so I have short periods to get on here.

Hey Todd,Hope your ahving a good evening. Here's my email bluesurf1978@yahoo.com

what's yours?

never mind todd I found it