Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Old stuff

I would rather be diggin, but I recently found this stuff refurbishing an old circa 1900's home in Lake Victor,in Burnet county Tx.The old postcards were behind the baseboards which were a 1x12 piece of cedar.The one in the best condition was mailed from Galveston to Lampassas tx in 1907, and was referring to this person fleeing for their life, as the hurricane hit there that year killing thousands.They had one cent Benjamin Franklin stamps on them! Pretty neat.The old photo was stuck behind the trim on the side of a door.Pretty risque for that era!On the back it says roses are red violets are blue sugar is sweet and so are you.I bet that made him hitch up his buggy and hook'em to the post office to check his mail.

old postcards&photo

Re: Old stuff

That stuff is pretty cool. I am a house flipper in tarrant county find some cool stuff. The best i think so far has been a cache of fire arms from the Civil War. They were mostly old revolvers couple of Rifles one rifle date back to before the revolution war. It seems the older the property the more stuff can be found. I thought about buying a metal detector to seacrh the yards but that would leave no time for artifact hunting.
If the post cards are addressed to the home you are restoring it would be worth framing and hanging on the wall of the property.

I'm not exactly a house flipper..I restore old historical homes,back as close as they were when they were built.I think you should hang one of those old civil war rifles over the doorway of where they were found.I had the homeowners approval to take these.

Can't hang anything over the door. I sold the home after all repairs were made. And moved on to the next project. At another home one employee found an old camera in a box up in the carriage house attic it was a box camera from the 20's it had negative in the box. they were from people that occupied the home some great shots of the home we took them to wolf camera to see if they could make reprints they could and I used them for a small album to show some of the history or the past from the home. We set it out during open houses and then passed the album on to the new owners

Hey you two treasure finders, did you see the item that made it to the national CNN news about a remodeler that was contracted to re-do a bathroom in a not too old house [ about 4 months ago ]

The contractor found $ 50,000. in cash behind a wall.
The house owner claimed it was rightly theirs, the contractor, who had possesion claimed it was his !

They were going to court to settle. Sorry I dont know the end result, it probably has not been heard yet. The slow way some court matters occur that 50Gs
might only be worth $ 4,000. [ and attorney fees $ 90,000. ]

I did'nt hear about that case.I'm sure it happens alot more than what you hear about though.That's a great idea with the old photographs though.Nice touch.I did hear about a contractor remodeling an old grocery store and finding an unopened box of topps baseball cards...If I remember right I think he got to keep them and sold them pack by pack unopened.Bet he made out like a bandit.I remember being a kid and sticking Micky Mantle cards in the spokes of our bicyle tires so it sounded like a motor...sheesh !