Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Temple Show

Anybody going to the Temple show? Not really much posting lately, thought I would start something.

Re: Temple Show

I've been thinking about it. Would consider carpooling/sharing gas with someone from S. Austin if they have a riceburner car with A/C.
Silver

Early in the year was planning on it then gas went to 4.00, so staying home, would be a 600+ mile trip for me. Would rather burn a few gallons and go out hunting.

I hear that. The pumps around here won't let you pump more than $75. I put $55 in my little mustang the other day. And I don't even know if it's worth that much.

Weekend WX report, clear and in the ninetyeights. Some diggers might prefer to be close to some flint in air conditioning rather than in the bottom of a solar cooker.!!
IF it was possible to know the attendance figures from this two day event Vs past years, it would be interesting....While two days is a great option for people to pick the most convienient day, the program was set up almost a year ago......BEFORE the gas price spike!! So the two day option alone might have boosted attendance, Folks like john G have to pass because a medium hop to Temple takes on the costs of a weekend in the Carribean!

How bout that poor Sam K, I tried to talk him into a visit with reduced [ or $3.00 entry ] costs. Now with that truck of his, its probably like a weekend in Europe !

Travis, is that straight story, Limiting gas purchase is rationing.

Well, we do what we can and do what we have to. The few show rules states positively no pictures so no visual reports ! If Dr P. is reading this, how about for future have a professional agency put together a quality "show guide book" Take a pic of every exibitors setup and maybe a few insets of special points. Sell it for $20.00 and the whole country can attend the show...Heck, Gas will be $6.00 + per gallon,this time next year maybe it will be worthwhile not to let the public in at all, just take pics !

Still cheaper than diggin! I'll be there...........showin, sellin, buyin, and just generally argueing around with folks. Only show worth the gas. Can't understand anyone missin out on this one.

Hey Michelle, around what time are you going to be at the Temple show?

Hay there

WIll , knowing HAL! , be there at the butt crack of dawn! hehe

Early I quess... Will walk around and see the sights and be in the back bothering James , ofcourse!

Michelle

Seems somebody forgot to mention one little detail in the above transmission,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SUNDAY is the day of the official visit.

Everybody will apreciate a long sleep in before a gala day so we dont plan to be at the ticket table til 0801. Look for AUSDGRS T's, ask Pecker for an autograph if you want to see some diggers cracked and caloused paws !!

As this is being typed, there's a lot of people already on the go, either for setting up or just to be the first in line to enjoy.

It would be real kindly if some Saturday visitor might give the rest of us a word or two of their impressions.

Well now, if you saw William German's collection of Scottsbluff points at the Temple Show then you have seen the alpha and the omega for the type. There is nothing to compare to his Scottsbluff assemblage either inside or outside the Smithsonian Institute.
On top of all that he is a scholar and a gentleman.

Yup, we took in the whole shmear !

Bill G's scotties, T.J.J.'s superb melange. We met Todd C. at the lubbock show a couple of months ago and He was showing [ some ] of the TWENTY THOUSAND
worked pieces he got from one site. So today that site is outta site and counting.
James W had a huge showing and we marveled at the amount of work involved to transport that much material without breaking a frame glass !
Unfortunatly James looked like the lone ranger Sunday,
rumor has it his displaying / diggin buddies got wiped
out Sat nite and couldnt find a mettate with both hands !

We even saw a woman selling subscriptions to a flint magazine !

Glad thats over for another year....now on to
DIGFEST 08

Ooooh digfest... We makin plans already?

Brad, The ELEVEN SEVEN OH-SEVEN DIGFEST was so well received, from what I gather There is sure to Be an OH EIGHT bash. History has shown us that the Earliest split second a date and place can be set, the better for more people to arrange their lives to attend.

Now that I'm is the typing mode, I'd like to mention one of my show favorites [ sorry ]

Modern [ knapped yesterday ] points are scoffed at by millions and perhaps walking right past the display tables, thats their loss!!

The Temple show has all the knappers grouped out front,[ still in the air conditioning ] so it's convienient to the brain continuity not to mix old & new.

First impression might be " what incredible flaking!!"
there are never any so-so items on display. But my most recent apreciation is the MATERIAL...

These knappers knock themselves out to find special natural minerals from WORLDWIDE. Madagascar quarts with copper inclusions ! ! The colors and variety are astounding colectors items. Why not a frame of
outstanding artwork, "collectors" buy garage clearing sales of a painting their kid made in third grade hoping for a big money gain as the kid goes onto be president of ENRON.

Petrified fossils are neat, corals and dino bone.

Pecker is threatening to commision a special order point knapped out of ANTIQUE CARNIVAL GLASS [ said to glow under UV light ]

I heard first hand that someone recieved #19,000 for a cache there...can anyone confirm that?

The Temple show was a kick. Got to meet a couple of fellow diggers and get shamed by their collection. Made me want to chunk my points in the river. Come on dig fest!!

"I heard first hand that someone recieved #19,000 for a cache there...can anyone confirm that?"

Can't confirm but on Saturday there was a fella showing a cache he found in Bell Co. on the Lampasas River. Consisted of 5 Cornertangs and 3 Basetangs. He said he was just about to call it quits for the day when he swung his pick right through the middle of them. They were all stacked right on top of each other and he managed to not damage a single one. All still had some cortex on the tips. I believe the largest Cornertang was 7-7/8" or 8". He was interested in selling and was shopping around to some of the dealers there but would not name his own price. Maybe $19K was it. He let my wife snap a few pictures so here they are (If I can figure how to post the pics) and for whatever reason she missed one of the Basetangs.

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

%%bbCodeItem_2%%

pics didn't come through but the description is good, I expect we can all see them on display at next year's show. . . . . for $ 38,000.--