Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Any ideas what this is??? candle holder, fire starter...

I found this last year on the Colorado River around Marble Falls. It looks like it was used to hold fire and has a hole drilled in the bottom, and a spot on the top of the carved out area where it looks like another hole was started but not finished. Any input appreciated.
Thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Any ideas what this is??? candle holder, fire starter...

i will take a stab at this and say it was held in the hand for a shaft to be inserted for some kind of drill or fire starter ... now thats just a guess

HAL !! take it from here if anyone would know hal would :)

Cheeez Lee, thats a heck of a thing to say ! Now I'm under the gun to be infalible!. I'm not, but here's the usual thoughts. I dont think any of it was shaped "by man". Nothing to do with fire or it would have exploded. That one good view into the cavity with the penny kinda sidways, None of the features on the major part of the hole show ANY signs of [ pecking, flaking, grinding }

Found around Marble falls is a clue, Thats igneous rock country [ molten rock and minerals ] The yellow might be some agatized material and the Dk grey something softer swirled in. Before eons of weathering, the "hole area" may have started as a gas bubble.

Ok, I'll quit now to leave plenty of space below for
the next guys.

to me hal u are the man lol. i really enjoy youre finds and advice ..i told my boss about the austin diggers site he loves it and he was impressed about that knife you found and how you got it back from that guy who was a a--

im going looking tomorrow morning hope i have some luck :)

I respect everyone here, SH, obviously has the knowledge from an on hands digging perspective.He also backs up his opinion with good hard facts.This is done with time, and research which shows me he has a deeper motive.He loves it!I also love it,and this may get me in trouble sometimes because of my opinions.Now to the question asked...hard to tell from a picture, but it looks like it has been worked to me. How big is it actually,and how does it fit in you're hand.That's usually a good indication of a artifact tool.The hole in the center to me,makes it very intriguing.Depending on the size,and other than the fact it has a hole in the center of it,I would say it may have been possibly used like this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had not noticed until I posted the picture, that the small stone I showed also seems to have a small indention in the center of it.These were found outside Mrble Falls in Smithwick on Lake Travis.Pretty neat.

Hi RY, Good comparison item, and from the same part of the world.

The smoothness of the depression does seem to indicate
use wear. The Yellow color relates to Bart's item,
Though in both pics they seem like flint, I suspect
they may be another mineral.

For Bart, even though you item doesnt show a lot of workmanship, something that unique could have had a purpose since the ancients were well qualified to use everything. For example, like an indian maidens jewelry box !

What gets me about it, is that it appears to have been shaped to fit in the hand as well as sit on a flat surface. The material looks like flint everywhere except the depression. In the depression, other than the hole in the bottom and the partial hole in the top, there there are no indications of it being worked. the edges are rounded, not sharp, and there is a spiral grain to the rock leading to the hole in the bottom. Nowhere does it look or feel like it was used for grinding. Oh well, maybe it's just a rock and I'm determined to make it into more than that.

I have one very similar to both of the these...I found it in spicewood on lake travis. Ill try and get pics up on here...Im new to this site..can I use photobucket?

Yes, copy html code and paste.

got it.....
Photobucket

Cant see any signs of human workmanship But the polish on Johnj's does look like it was tumbled all the way down from Marble Falls.

Once again I disagree,the rock in johnj's picture to me, has obviously been worked.The inside, and outside corners were in my opinion worked to fit in one's hand more comfortably.I believe these smaller stones may have been used for medicinal purposes.The mentality if it's not an arrowhead,it is'nt an artifact is irrelavant.I have as much intrest in the tools,as the points personally.