Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NEW FIND IN FORT BEND COUNTY

I FOUND 2 POINTS ONE UNFINISHED (U CAN TELL WHERE THE KNAPPIN WENT WRONG.. LOT OF FLINT PIECE .. THE RECENTLY BUILD A NEW LAKE IN THIS SUBDIVISION AND THIS STUFF WITH LOTS OF PIECES OF VERY OLD LOOKING BONES.. IT IS SPREAD AT LEAST 90 FEET ALONGTHE LAKE.. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.. I WOULD EXTIMATE THIS IS 10 FEET BELOW THE SERVICE AND ONLY THE CREATION OF THE LAKE DESCOVERED THIS.. IHAVE NOT EVEN STARTED DIGGING AS MOST OF THIS STUFF IS BEING WASHED OUT BY RAIN ON THE ARTIFIALLY BUILD SHORE.. WHAT DO I DO? REPORT IT.. DIG AND FIND= STUFF?? PLEASE PROFIDE GUJIDANCE. R. THE POINT ARE BROWN POINTS BETWEEN 2-3 INCHES AND NOT REAL REFINED.

Re: NEW FIND IN FORT BEND COUNTY

Well now Rocky, there are going to be lots of Amerindian campsites and burial grounds turn up in Fort Bend County as the area is developed. I have no way of knowing exactly where you are but there are lots of sites off FM 723 and The Grand Parkway. There is a Fort Bend Archeological Society with offices by the Court House in Richmond, They conducted the big burial ground dig between Fulshear and Simonton. They seem to have more than they can say grace over. The site you refer to has obviously been wrecked by the construction of the lake so its archeological value may be minimal at best. If I were in the situation you are in and I lived in the subdivision on that lake I would get up early in the morning and walk my dog along the lake shore and look down a lot. I would not discuss it with anyone. Pick up everything, bones, flakes, chips etc. Catalogue it all. Get out early after heavy rains and watch any new tracts with dirt being moved around. If you live in the subdivision you are not trespassing and if anyone wants to give you some grief, tell them to go whistle Dixie.

Eloquence in pontification and grammatical rectitude.

Thanks Redman, that's is almost exactly what I did today, found two nice arrow heads and half of a spear point. I suspect you are correct that it will continue to wash out after rains. Only prob is that the lake is very low because it was partially drained to do some work - with rain and restoration this stuff will likely be underwater soon.

Well rounded...yes......

Well now, all of these linguistic sequences turned to practical accounts appear in Webster's Dictionary. Should one be incurious to the interpretation of same then simply ignore said sequence ; ignore being the base word for ignorance.

Clearly, rednecks 'round the world quiver at your utter perfection in language arts. Now, if we could, please move along to a topic we might care about; such as the proper depth and baiting techniques of a trot line in various seasonal situations.

I have buckets of flint chips or flakes I keep them just because if I leave them on the ground I would pick it up over and over again. Well I did not know that it would be good to count and catalog them. Where are the fort bend pictures anyways.

Well Now.......Okay.

Well now, I nearly forgot.........Brad, how deep is the water and whatcha usin, for bait?? I do pick up all chips, flakes, bones etc for several reasons; so the piece won't catch my eye next time and so those pieces won't advertise the location of the site. I'm quite sure someone has a perfectly valid reason for counting snails but that reason eludes me.

My,my, isn't comunication what makes the world go around.Forest Gump comes to mind when he said...it's like a box of chocolates....you never know what your going to get!
Actually, indian artifacts are old news to todays up-coming archeologists. This shift of focus came about in the late 80's and early 90's, and is still the focus today, and that is that they are more focused on what they ate to stay alive, and yes, snails were part of their dietary spectrum of food source, as they were a very high source of protien.
Undisturbed shells?...of course, all they had to do is place them in warming water close to a fire and watch them evacuate their shells. Nasty tasting? Probably so, but you and I would probably react this way about many things they actually ate. Some species of snails had harder shells in the Northwest, and I still have shells found alongside Hudson Trade Beads that have drilled holes for strung necklaces (Midu & Modoc cultures).
Now and presently, there is yet another focus, and this is finding organic pollens still in tact within their sites as clues to the climatology of their times. Anything organic that has survived is important material for many reasons, and most of it can be tested with sophisticated dna techniques. Much of this information is present in Tarl files, that not everyone has access to.