Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Authentic and or Ancient

You hear all these web site artifact dealers talk about their points being authentic but few talk about their points being ancient. I've heard some of the old collectors say there is a difference. If so, can anyone explain what the difference is? Thanks, John

Re: Authentic and or Ancient

Well now, the classification of a point by type will give you it's age. A Clovis point is from 9000 to 14000 years old, a Scottsbluff is 7000 to 9500 years old and so on. Authentic is exactly that, with no modifications, alterations or adulterations. Keep in mind that there are individuals who utilize the term Authentic in a rather loose arbitrary manner. Ancient is an arbitrary term.

I concur completely with redman on this. Ancient is an arbitrary term. It is difficult for most people to think in terms beyond a lifetime (say 100) years...let alone the distant past. Artifacts beyond 1,000 years are Really old, but if you want to truely blow your mind, and it is Not at all easy to do,......learn how to think in terms of Geologic Time!
Anyone I have ever known who learned how to do this experienced a new found appreciation for just how old this ole earth is (hard to fathom)! Human existance is but a drop in the bucket of time as compared to the age of the last dinosaur remains. This is where I think the term ancient is more appropriate.

I hadn't heard of this distinction but when I first
read the question what immediatly flashed through the gray matter was the "professional amature" knappers
that buy up all the largest and best bases and tips
to be re-sharpend and altered for authentic, ancient
Ebay clientel !

There's a LOT of them [ knappers and Ebay fish ]

Well, I think that if the point was resharpened by the same culture that made it, that it is still authentic, but just not in it's original form. In taking this a step further with grading points, resharpening only detracts from our perception of value as their are Grade 10 points existing for most all types that have Not been resharpened, and are in original form.

A big percentage of the points I find in West Texas are re-sharpened,very resourceful ancients out here. When I find a re-worked point, it's still a good ancient artifact find in my mind. Not too many years ago, collectors put points in two classes, good ancient points and junk, I still feel this way. Guess I'm from the old school but that's my opinion. I personally have no use for modern made points, no history behind them. Thanks for listening, good hunting to all. Modern re-chipped points I don't have much use for, perfer to leave it broken. To each his own.

Well now, here are some ancient examples that are arbitrary
Abristlecone Pine 5000 years old
Ancient Egypt 4000
Galapagos Tortoise 120
My History Prof 85
Cave Art Lascaux 30,000
Ancient Age Whiskey 8
Clovis Man 14,000
Ancient Greek Culture 8000
Yellowstone Caldera 600,000

All of the above have been correctly described as Ancient at one time or other.

Just picked up a new slant on this subject over on TXCH thats more in line with the point I was trying
make on " professional amature " resharpening.

How bout taking a perfectly good $300. - G10 Covington blade and with two small "alterations
" turn it into a perfectly good $1200. Corner tang !

A top quality worked Friday knife could be a grand
Clovis. [ mainly for the Ebay clientel ]

I would think a nice $6.00 Perd with a snapped off
base would make a great $400. Andice.

Human nature being what we know it is, it's only a short leap from repointing an original to outright
fraud when money is involved

The beauty of the business is that no matter the level
of "resharpening", the piece really is authentic AND
ancient.

Well now, back on 28 Feb I had a photo on this site of assorted knife blades. Most of the pieces had experienced extensive resharpening down through the ages ; to the extent that some are just worn down to nubs. Authentic Nubs. Black light can be useful when recent knapping is suspect.