Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Another Newbie...my story

Hi to everyone, I am new to forums; never posted anything so, here goes....
I live in Southern Indiana, Just across the river from Louisville, KY.
Did a search on hunters of Texas arrowheads and your site came up.
I am a hooked arrowhead hunter, have been for several years.
I found my first arrowhead, or spearpoint, when I was 9 while fishing early one morning in a small pond acoss the street where I lived at the time, about a mile from where I live today! I had my barefeet stuck in the mud and felt something sharp poking my toes so I ran my had down my leg till I found the object and pulled it out. It was about 7 inches long and 2 inches wide at the widest part and very slender. It had a very beautiful light brown color with some pale pink wavy lines across it in several places. Needless to say, I was estatic! I had to tell everyone I knew what I had found.
A few month's later my Father told me that a lady he met had something that she wanted me to have. She was walking distance from home so I went over there without a clue as to what it might be that she wanted me to have. I had never met the lady before. I followed her up the stairway to a room in the attic and she grabbed a rather large box. When she opened the lid, and removed some tissue paper from the top,....well, my jaw must have dropped to my chest! I had never before seen such a treasure of real Indian arrowheads, celts, and axes! She gave them all to me. Her late husband found them all in the Tennessee river she said. She did not have a use for them and wanted me to have them!!
Well, I had them for a long time and cherished them till I went to VietNam in 1969-1971. When I came home, I was depressed and had lost interest in every thing and sold them; I may as well say gave them to a friend.
I started to regret this very much later in life when I got over the war, and
started my second collection just about ten years ago. I have, I guess 175 now that I have found or have been found in this area.
I am wanting to branch out from this area, in my searching, and look around places that I visit family and friends in since they are scattered all over the country.
I am going to Katy, Texas around Dec. 20. If you familiar with that area please respond to this post and let me know if there are points there.
I would like to see some of your collections and hear your stories so send links to pics that you have. I will do the same if you are interested in seeing them...Thanks,Phil

Re: Another Newbie...my story

Phil, Nice to meet you. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am excited to see your finds from your part of the country. I think we all remember that first point. I found my first one in some sand dunes out in New Mexico when I was 14. Been hooked ever since. Glad to meet ya.

Glad to meet you Travis, and Douglas. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will send them.Thanks

Howdy Phil, good to hear from someone so central in
interesting artifact country. Do you get to any of the flint shows? Kentucky seems to have quite a few.

Besides really old pottery and copper goods that we never see in Texas The "hard stone" artifacts are
really a wonder, not only grooved and shaped granite,
but the polish [ the surface finish, not those people from northern Europe ] can be outstanding.

Re your Katy TX visit, There and a long way around
in any direction there is a lot of loamy {gumbo]
topsoil tending to sandy south. Its indian country
alright but almost exclusively surface hunting
drainages and nearby farmlands.
Find Cleavland TX, not to far NE of Katy, fella
named Roy has done very well surfacing there.
Most of the finds you see on this site are dug
from camps further west in the "hill country"

What time of year is your proposed visit ?
Katy is the snow goose wintering grounds of the
world, you'll have trouble surface hunting cause
the ground will be 100% covered with bird poo and
shotgun shell casings !

Here's some evidence of Cleavland Roy mentioned in
last twix.
Scroll many pages back in the point chatter past
history to;
"CREEK FINDS" by ROY SEP 19 07

Also for more of his finds, back to front page,
upper left see "RANDY'S PAY DIG" Its a very long
way down, but the LAST 6 rows of pics at the bottom
on the picnic table is Roy's other creek finds.

I threw that very bottom pic in as a bonus, its an
example of how some Texans handle "creekin"

just read your stuff sounds like me loving the hunt for arrowheads live in s.c. indians lived all around here wish i new how to put pictures up got some good finds of arrows and picies of pottery. still looking for others hunters in s.c. keep hunting and keep posting your finds.

Hay there !

All you NEW people are signing up for the mailing list RIGHT???????

Don't want to be left out of Digfest08 !

Michelle

Awesome story Phil. I am Ohio Born and Breed but actually got bit by the arrowhead bug in Bath County Kentucky. I was just amazed at the surface finds in the tobacco fields I walked there. There was nothing like that up here for me.
I am familiar with Louisville, my daughter lives there.
Beautiful drive there also. I just drool at the fields I see from the Xway. I tell my wife someday we are going to stop and I am going to explore. She says " well make sure its walking distance because I will leave you there LOL".
My father was a veteran it 2 wars, Korea and WWII. I, as everyone else should, have the upmost respect for our servicemen who served our country. God Bless you Man and THANK YOU.

Hi Mark, Thanks for your note. It was good to hear from you. It always amazes me, how many NA must have lived and roamed throughout the states long ago and how much we continue to learn of new places that they inhabited.
What part of Ohio do you live in now? I just visited my sister for a few hours in Dayton area. I saw a lot of places that I was just wanting to stop and explore there myself, but time would not allow. We were on our way back from upstate central NY where my wife if from. Interestingly enough, they was a lot of Indian activity up there but seems like the interest in artifact hunting is nearly nil.
If you visit your daughter in Lou. KY please look me up and maybe we could explore a few places around here if you would like. I am always researching new places and finding places I would like to search when it cools down.
Thanks for your respect for our soldiers, and thanks to your father for his sacrifices!
God Bless

You guys up on the Ohio kentucky border About 15 years ago some friends and went camping on the river We found several Knives and Spear points in 1-1/2 hours time just walking down Some fishing paths Then climbing up the small eroded places where the storm water made its way to the Ohio River. it was a fun trip It was not what we set out to do but it just ended up that way

I would like to find a spot like that! Send coordinance!LOL