Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
looking for soapstone pottery

im looking for anyone that knows anything about soapstone. i have found soapstone in four different places in south carolina. trying to locate where it came from in s.c. or fromother states. only found small pieces.also love to look at this message board hats off to the person or persons.

Re: looking for soapstone pottery

RJ, Cant help you with info from your area, I always
thought of ancient soapstone carvings being from the
NW, particularly Alaska. I Googled "ALASKAN SOAPSTONE". . . . . WOW

I didn't spend much time there [ Google, not Alaska ]
but the first, top of page site I hit had gorgeous
and intricate carvings.

I've seen soapstone and I've seen pottery. I'm not sure what soapstone pottery is though. If you are referring to steatite, it is relatively common in California. It was used in prehistory mostly as material for perforated pendants and shaft straighteners. I have several example of both. The most famous type is jet-black and is found on the coastal islands of California, I think mostly Catalina Island. I don't know of any sources in Tx though.

thanks for taking a look the pices of soapstone that we found are just small pices that have a little concave to it very rustick on the outside layer but on the inside it feels smoeth but you can see the scaping they did with a rock or something found all of the soapstone around places that we found other artifacts like arrow blades and other kind of pottery i will keep trying to find out where it came from and keep posting it

RJ, as long as your researching old "stuff" in S. C.
have you picked up on the item on the front page of
AUSDGRS?? Down the bottom, see,
11-17-04 CNN REPORTS - ARCHS IN S. C. REWRITE HISTORY

I'm a geologist and know what soapstone is. It is a soft metamorphic rock. Light colored when fresh, easy to carve, turns black when heat treated. You are probably close to some sources of soapstone. I see people find soapstone artifacts here in Texas - those had to have been traded over to here to Texas from the Appalachians. A picture of your find would help.