Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
More Palo Pinto Finds

this first picture items are from this morning and late Yesterday This morning I also found A hearth or fire pit.I did not have the camera it is a foot below the surface Filled with burnt flint,rock,some burnt bones And alot of charcoal. No wonder almost every thing in that small area is burnt and broken.Photobucket
This next photo I found At the As Hal named it the digfeast. One bird point and one semi rare Hematite scraper.Hope the pics work outPhotobucket
Photobucket The last pic is a very small very thin bird point I used a dime just to show how small it is

Re: More Palo Pinto Finds

That scraper is so cool. Never seen one made out of that. I wonder if it would go off at the airport?

Attaboy, Leonard. I went to Strawn and picked up my screen today. I'm ready to move some dirt now.

Leonard...Finally cool enough to dig. I was really wanting out today.

How deep you digging? You find any bone?

Wow Leonard, a hearth find could lead to some
very interesting site understanding on that property.

Just for near future digging, you know exactly where the original depth was when they still used flint tools. BUT, it's a golden oppurtunity to settle
"how old" are these points/tools ? You probably scattered the find in digging out the area but I suggest ziplock bagging the ash or any organics, even
charred material for future carbon dating.

I say future dating because I have the impression
the testing is in the mega dollar range for the
average citizen ! In the "future" you might meet up
with a digger radio carbon lab operator that will do
it for nothing.
As we type Dwain Rodgers is awaiting the test results
of the Chrisner Paleo site. He would surely know
details and pricing, 254 - 791 - 5520

The "bird point" variety flint already pinpoints the
date to around 500 to 1000 years old BUT what about
if that was a "mission indian" camp which could date to as recent as after the civil war ?

140 years old ?

From what I remember in graduate, it was about 250 bucks for dating. There are many companies on the net that can do it for you. You must make sure that the sample is not in anyway contaminated. I think that 10 grams is the minimum amount needed. Good luck!

sorry, i meant "graduate school"

Hey Dr. Rock,
Nice to meet you. I wonder how accurate carbon dating really is. Maybe it's pretty accurate. I don't know. I read an article in college about the accuracy of carbon dating. A team of scientists had dated 2 stalagtites areas in Texas. One area of stalagtites were found in a cave. Both areas dated several thousands of years. (I don't remember just how many thousands). But the second group of stalagtites were found under an overpass in austin but both areas were dated fairly around the same era. Now this is an article I read so that doesn't mean I stand by it by any means. Thanks

let me clarify myself. I was tired... A team of scientist carbon dated stalagtites in a cave and stalagtites underneath an overpass and the carbon dating dated them thousands of years old.

Wow, the Doc's got the straight story !
407,000 results for "CARBON DATING COMPANIES"
< PHYSICS.ARIZONA.EDU > has different catagories of
prices up to $675.- . . . .
BONE SAMPLES THAT DO NOT CONTAIN COLLAGEN, $100.-
Thats so cheap one could send in a left over T bone
just to find out how old of a critter you just ate !

It would be intesting to see what specs the testing
company quotes for age determination. Seems like when
we see an article regarding site dating it's always
stated with a or -
So an analised date of 8000 yrs -500 yrs doesn't make much difference but the same standard for an
item in the 1800's is no good [ or last weeks T-bone ]

Here's ANOTHER question. . . . .

Why did this PC drop the two PLUS signs [ + ] in
the tail end of the above transmission?
Have to use your imagination for PLUS or MINUS !