Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hi!

Hi everyone!

I am new to the message board and just wanted to say that i really enjoy the site! My best friend and I will be attending Digfest 08 and we are SO excited! It will be our first dig, as we are surface hunters from the Rio Grande Valley. Lots of fun finds in the RGV, but NOTHING like the beautiful pieces that y'all have shared on the site :)

Does anyone have any advice to offer two newbies?

Thanks in advance for reading... can't wait to meet some new folks that share the same passion we do!

Re: Hi!

Lookit that Douglas. . . "the tool expert !" Hasn't posted BOO in weeks and now has just discovered there
are girl diggers and he's in with both feet !

Welcome Mindy and Friend, Digfest is shaping up to be really well attended and "events" upgraded from last
year. Valley vs Hill country flint hunting, if you
have never done it, really Is VASTLY different......
For one thing, they feed you all you can eat !
Details as they evolve will be posted at the top of the chatter page, drawing prizes, home page,
click "CLICK HERE"

There's a lot of info you might glean from past
postings, just go back in the previous postings,
including the leadup to last years digfest of topics
of interest.

I do remember one piece of advice from last year, if
the "digging" is a one day only thing and then back to no tools surfacing, Take Doug up on his tool lending offer,
The only tool you'll need to bring is a cheap bottle opener.

That was quite refined, Douglas. Ain't drinkin' yet? . I hope I can make it to digfest, too and since you don't drink real beer, I'll bring my own. Hahahaha! Just razzin ya!

BTW, welcome, ladies! I also like to use a little three or four pronged rake with a one foot handle if the diggin' is easy enough, anyway. sometimes you just have to pick it.

Thanks VERY much for the warm welcome everyone! And the advice is GREAT! A wonderful place for me to start learning. I am going to visit those sites and go through the past postings.

Just one girly making the trek to digfest on my trip....Best friend is Kirk and he too will be bringing beer to share :) He has been hunting for just a year and loves it. He's majorly hooked (as we all are) and he has a great eye. (Dang i hate it when he finds somethin' i miss.... I never hear the end of it...lol)

One last favor... can anyone recommend a hotel? Doesnt have to be close and doesnt have to be the ritz... im just not at all familiar with the area so i dont know whats available.

Thanks again! I knew there were great people on this site... Can't wait to meet you all!

I-35 thruough Belton and Temple is covered up with motels, high to low. Shouldn't have a problem finding something to suit your needs.

I'm kinda hoping I can find an old girlfriend from Belton or Austin area to shack up with and in case my wife reads this post, I'm just kidding, honey.

M. & K. Brad took the words right off my keyboard !
I mean the part about bringing a lady digger, however
I'm going to enlarge on his I-35 input at the top of
the page under the general difest info also.

Well Kirk is welcome too, alas, poor heartbroken Doug,
we may not hear from him for weeks again !

Hi Mindy and Kirk, I was a newbie last year at '07...Go to Wally world and get a cheap gardening set of tools and like Doug said you can borrow a pick if you feel like you need one....Fortunately, for me, I won the wigglepick last year....lol.

The days of celebrating a big find [ or no finds ]
with a few Magnums of Champaine is a distant hazy
memory of the last millineum.
I'm now the designated digger

M. N K. So if your Digfest visit is a mini vactaion,
you will be planning to see or visit what you can in addition on a long trip.
Ever been to a "flint show"? The Delon show on Saturday is small but well stocked and interesting [ one can dream of what might be dug the next day ! ] The dinosaur Valley state park near Glen Rose is an easy hop from Delon enroute to Moody / Temple area.

Since your this far "north", maybe tack a few extra days on your holiiday an visit the field Museum,
in Chicago. . . .

That all sounds GREAT! I think we are planning on the Deleon show for sure! I have been to the show in Lufkin with my parents(i believe is where it was) and that was FUN! Kirk has never been to a show so it should be great fun for him as well. We are staying in Temple at the Holiday Inn a GREAT rate as far as I'm concerned - two free nights earned with points and 75 bucks for the 3rd! WHOO HOO!! Don't get much cheaper. Thanks so much for all your help and making us feel so warmly welcomed. We are so excited we're about to bust. Hey... how about we bring some Pan de Polvo cookies for the BBQ. Being 6 miles from mexico... these folks KNOW what they're doin' lol

Thanks again and can't wait to meet everyone...

They are YUMMY little cinnamon sugar cookies that melt in your mouth! They are a staple in Mexico... and NOT very good for you but DEEEELISHIOUS!

They are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies - You just wont be able to stop eatin em.....