Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Difference Between a Gahagan Blade & A Darl Blade? Final Part

OK...let's try these & thanks to Geo for the info.
The yellowish one is a Gahagan Bladr from Bill Arnold (look's very similiar to another knife that he called a "Pipe Drill" due to the knob on the corner) & the dark brown Gahagan blade was just termed so by D. Rogers but mentioned that it's called a "DArl Blade in C. TX by 'some' collectors. To me there's quite a bit of difference between the them & wonder how that big a difference can exisit, yet they are the same type of blade.
Silver
Gahagan via Bill Arnold

Gahagan with Cert. from Rogers

Re: The Difference Between a Gahagan Blade & A Darl Blade? Final Part

This is just my view, for whatever it's worth. I see alot of differences between the 2 items. The first one I think is not a good or quality example of a gahagan to begin with. The second lower photo I think is a nice example of a darl blade/ knife, and a quality one at that. Further, a gahagan of equivalent quality would likely have a concave base with pronounced thinning. If they both are being called gahagans, I just don't buy off on it!
Nice photos silver!

This is going to be really deep so if your not in a good mood, I suggest you skip to the Geo in a hole section!
This discussion of the line between similar looking points and a recent story of Doc Hester's leads me to a very profound conclusion [ just my personal opinion ].
The Doc story is that he was visiting Todd Chism's dig in Uvalde county very recently to review 3 bags of Angustura points that had been found. Todd said He was delighted with that amount of material to work with and proceeded to make a selection and line them up to cover six hundred years. That means those points were evolving and morphing enough to be identifiable to a known time line.
Somebody might be able to do the same with the humble Perd. Even the money book has enough examples to see some differences and that cant be all the full range of morphs.

So. . . Here comes the "deep" !
If we can say with the certainly that we do, that man,whales and every other creature living today started with a very simple organism that lived in the seas [ creationalists excepted ]. They evolved / morphed.

So if thats the way things work, The Clovis point is the starting point of stone artifacts in North America. [ there is preclovis of course but not as well defined as the clovis point in history ]
So in actual fact, That bird point that Leonard just found and posted today, which might be 800 years old actually started as a Clovis.

I'm thinking there should be a flint tree of evolution just the same as the creature professors have, with a clovis at the root / base.

Finished, Phew, I gotta go lay down !

Mike, I appreciate your feedback BUT the Darl Blade was certified by D. Rodgers as a Gahagan. I told him that's what I bought it as & that I wanted it certified as a Gahagan only, provided that he agreed. Well, apparently he agreed, so the cross-over between the Gahagan & the Darl Blade is evident but muddled in my opinion.
Silver

. .. .. SHNACT . . [ Sure Happy Nobody Answered Clovis Theory ]

I was in the bottom of a hole again when the ointment fly struck. That big theory above assumes one little group of people originally "came over " then for the next 20 t0 10 thousand years later no other cultured peoples arrived
at all ! Thats wrong.

Tried to research European and Eurasian flint point pictures on Google, lots of reference to EBAY and YAHOO for sale !

Near as I can tell, they went right from throwing jaw bones at each other directly to copper points.

Well, I would agree with you that the cross-over between the types is muddled. It would be redundant to think that Dwain knows something about this that we don't.....of course he does......and I don't doubt it.My refferences and information sources are limited at best on this, and I don't know what it would take for him to reveal his...provided he'd even be willing.If I run across any more info on this, I'll sure let you know.